Light Bulb Differences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimluann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank that has been running since Sept 06 with no live plants. I thought the bulbs needed replacing, so went looking, and since I don't have to worry about plants, I thought I could replace with just about any lamp.

My first stop (did I tell you I am a frugal beginner?) was the local hardware store. I tried their 18" everyday variety florescent bulb. I replaced one side and it was startling to see the green hue from the new bulb. Back to the store and this time I got a "natural sunlight" bulb, but this time it was orange. Then I went back once more and picked up their aquarium bulbs, but they were still not the same light as I have in the other fixture.

I just got back from the LFS with a Flora-Glo T-8 2800K 65 Lux Aquarium Lamp. (which I paid twice as much for) But that too gives off a "murky" light, and that side of the tank looks terrible

What do I need to replace them with that will give that same white light I was used to.

I just realized that it wouldn't take too much to think this was a bad rendition of a "Goldylux" story. I need to find the porridge that is just right!!

Thanks for your help

Get something 6500K or higher. Anything above 18000K is usually too high for a pleasing look.

Thanks tropicalfish!

I'll burn some more gas and make another visit to the LFS!

10000K looks great to me, but that's no guarantee that it will match what you had.

Lonewolfblue said:
Anything from 5500k to 11000k, or a mixture of low end and high end for better results, IMO.

I agree.

Lower than 5500k makes your water look like someone urinated in it. Above 10,000k and you start to get that marine/reef look.

Back
Top Bottom