Light fixture question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exigenn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought a 75 gallon tank second hand, it came with a t12 fixture and im not really very big on it. I want to get more into plants and things like that but i also dont have $100-200 to spend on a new fixture. Im wondering if some of these light fixtures would work. For the T5 fixtures i would put full spectrum bulbs in and everything. Some of them have different size options, i would be getting a 48in one.

Anything you can tell me or suggest me preferably in the $50 range would be appreciated.

PS Dual 120 48" Aquarium Light Marine Fowlr Cichlid Fish 108W 4ft Odyssea | eBay

Odyssea PS Dual 6500K T5 Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant 2X Lamps 20 24 30 36 48 | eBay

18" 24" 30" 36" 48" 72" LED Light High Lumen Aquarium Plant Full Spectrum Fowlr | eBay

12 18 24 30 36 48 72"Aquarium LED Light 0 5W Multi Color Full Spec Plant Marine | eBay

This all depends on what kind of plants you want to keep and whether or not you plan to inject CO2.

I would suggest checking in the classified section of this site and others as well as Craigslist.

The fixtures you listed would do fine for some plants. Again it all depends on the type of plants you want to keep and if you intend to use CO2.

For the most part low light to medium light(maybe)

Im not very knowledgeable on the whole plant thing. But on my 30 gallon i originally had just a generic T8 on their and the plants survived but didn't grow (all low light). i switched to a full spectrum bulb and thee next day there was new growths on basically everything and they still grow very well. Thats basically what i want for this tank, Not just "surviving" but growing.

Craigslist around my area is poop for things like this, months i have been on their just looking for random deals and have never seen a light fixture.

When using T5s or any fluorescent lighting, you should factor in the cost of annual replacement of the bulbs. So a low cost fixture may end up costing quite a bit down the road.
LEDs have a higher initial cost but last a much longer time.
And not all LED fixtures are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have not used any of those fixtures except for the last one. When I got back into the planted tank world I purchased a 30" Coralife dual T5 normal output (NO) fixture for my 20g long (12" tall). Unfortunately my expectations exceeded the light output from this fixture. I was going for medium lighting but this was definitely low light. I later moved it to a similarly sized shrimp tank full of crypts and the did fine. Then it stopped working after about 2.5 years of service.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you are considering LED for your tank you will have to double up on the fixtures. Most of these LED fixtures will not have the penetrating power to get enough light to the bottom of the tank. If you are going to stick with low light plants you might be able to get away with one of them. The thing about most LED fixtures is they are designed to sit directly on the tank which means they will not have a good spread being that close to the water. I run LEDs on all of my tanks. I built them myself and have them suspended 10 or so inches above the water. I also use 3w LEDs and most of these fixtures do not.

Like I said in a previous post it all depends on what you want to put in the tank. For the money I would look at a Finnex 24/7+ this is more than double your $50 price point but you will get a lot of bang for your buck!

FYI I have two of the beamswork leds. They work well for small tanks but will not do much for your 75g.

Well those are the only lighs i have found under $100. Im not really willing to spend much more then that let alone buy 2 of them. Do i have any other options here. Again im only really looking to do low light plants but i want them to grow not just survive.

Would i be better of putting a plant bulb in the T12 and putting the LEDS on together or just get rid of the T12 all together.

Sorry for so many questions, i want this tank to look nice with the plants and dont want to pay an arm and a leg.

Back
Top Bottom