Light fixture questions - LED?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bpeitzke

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been using a Current fluorescent fixture in my 65-gal FOWLR tank. It has two bulbs, one white, other blue-white, and has worked fine, though it tends to cause the tank to be too warm in summer months (I know, I could reduce the lights-on hours). Yesterday it quit - I haven't tested it yet, so don't know whether it's just bulbs - strange that both would go at same time.

But I've been reading about the new LED light fixtures, and thinking that might be the way to go, to reduce my electricity bills and the heat load on the tank. (I am paying for significant amount of tier-two electricity in spite of having a rather small house and frugal habits; suspect a lot if it is due to my tank with its lights & pumps.)

I've seen two models by Marineland - their Reef LED, ~ $250 for the 36" size I need, and their Double Bright LED for ! $110.

I don't have any corals yet, but would prefer to get lighting that would support some (if not necessarily those that need the most intense light), unless there is a downside to stronger lighting other than price.

So, I'd appreciate any comments on LED lighting relative to various fluorescent or other types, and in particular reef-level vs lower output units.

TIA

Bob

Me, personally I wouldnt use those LED's for reef keeping. If you want decent lighting and affordable I would go with a 4 bulb T5 fixture.

I really like the shimmer of the led's though, so maybe there are some other options. This question comes up every once in awhile on here. lol

After seeing my lfs's 400g reef tank that they just converted to full led.... I wouldn't think twice about going led....looks absolutely stunning and can sustain coral extremely well:) but that doesn't mean t5 is crappy, if nothing else atleast go t5:)

Back
Top Bottom