Light for nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twood9615

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 2.5 gallon tank that I am planning on turning into a planted tank, I already have an extra co2 system i could use in it and I was wondering what light you guys could recommend. I would prefer a good LED light because I've read that the smaller fluorescents don't last and I don't want to be buying new bulbs constantly. Also I'm on a budget so cheap and effective is my goal here.

It's not a rimless tank, I was actually thinking about getting a fluorescent desk lamp from home depot I've seen some people use them on small tanks like this and they seem to work pretty well, this isn't my first choice obviously but I think it would work well. Any thoughts on this?

Yes that would work just fine. I have seen many successful tanks with them.

Also, is it totally necessary to run a filter on a tank this small? I understand that no filter would mean more water changes but would just doing frequent water changes be enough or should I just invest in a mini filter? I feel like filling a tank this small with plants would be plenty of filtration in itself but I'm still pretty new to the planted side of the hobby.

What do you plan to put in it? You could probably get away with no filter... the AZOO Palm mini hob works well for tanks this size and then you would at least get a bit of flow. I'd worry about biofilm on top of the water if you have 0 circ.

Yeah I have a spare desk lamp and today I put a 14 watt 5000k fluorescent bulb in it and I'm going to give that a try for now. I also ordered the azoo palm filter earlier today, but I plan to make it a shrimp tank and if that doesn't work out then maybe 2 or 3 small fish (guppies, rasboras, or a betta fish)

I'd stay away from guppies in a tank this size. A betta could be appropriate though others will argue that probably. Some of the nano rasboras (chilis for example) would be ok imo after keeping them for a few years, though again, some would even argue that would be unacceptable. Personally, I'd be comfortable with a school of 5 chilis in a tank of this size.

Last edited:
Yeah I have 7 harlequin rasboras in my 34 gallon right now, would those be too big to put in there? I wouldn't put all 7 obviously, maybe just 3.

Yeah, they are a bit large. Harlequins can grow to 2". Chilis and a few of the other nano species stay well under an inch and are very, very thin.

Ill have to look around my area to see if I can find those then, they sound like a good choice, thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom