light for tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YNWAtom22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It's like thirty dollars for the hood, is that worth it?

I have a lamp for it, and it's a little to powerful I feel because when it's not on they don't really swim as much.

So for you guys who know a lot, would be it better to:

Buy $25 heater or $30 hood

The water is only like 71 degrees Fahrenheit usually, and I have 4 cichlids, thanks any feedback would be much appreciated.

20g

It's a 20w environment light

2 peacocks

1 Mbuna

1 socolofi

I would be more worried about the fish than the lights tbh. All of those fish get waaaaaay too large for a 20g and will likely beat each other to death once they start to grow up.

Mbuna is more of a group of fish rather than a specific species, for example the socolofi is also a Mbuna. They tend to be some of the biggest fighters in the cichlid world not counting some of the hyper aggressive cichlids that are out there. They are a cave dwelling highly territorial fish. The peacocks on the other hand, are more gentle than the Mbuna and inhabit the open waters more than the caves.

Keeping Mbuna together with peacocks would be like putting Mike Tyson in the ring with a lightweight boxer. They might be able to hold their own, but in the end they are outranked. Adding into the fact that there are not going to be enough hiding spaces or room in a tank that size it's a recipe for disaster. All 4 of those fish really need a 55g aquarium.

It sucks, but I would seriously suggest rehoming the fish.

I would be more worried about the fish than the lights tbh. All of those fish get waaaaaay too large for a 20g and will likely beat each other to death once they start to grow up.

Mbuna is more of a group of fish rather than a specific species, for example the socolofi is also a Mbuna. They tend to be some of the biggest fighters in the cichlid world not counting some of the hyper aggressive cichlids that are out there. They are a cave dwelling highly territorial fish. The peacocks on the other hand, are more gentle than the Mbuna and inhabit the open waters more than the caves.

Keeping Mbuna together with peacocks would be like putting Mike Tyson in the ring with a lightweight boxer. They might be able to hold their own, but in the end they are outranked. Adding into the fact that there are not going to be enough hiding spaces or room in a tank that size it's a recipe for disaster. All 4 of those fish really need a 55g aquarium.

It sucks, but I would seriously suggest rehoming the fish.

I agree with Mebbid but to answer your question a heater would be way more important than a light.

Back
Top Bottom