Light help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennandjuicetm

Aquarium Advice Freak
Oh man. I can not figure out this light thing and I am getting really frustrated. I've read that the 2-3 watt per gallon rule is out of date but I'm not sure what exactly is in date. It seems every article tells me it's about the lumens and Kalvin rating. I know I need something about 6500K but how many lumens do I want? The lights are for planted 5, 10, and 20 gallons and a moderately planted 20 long. The tanks have no plants in them thus far but I am using Flourite substrate.

Oh also, I have two to fixtures and was planning on using clamp lights for whatever doesn't have the t8s.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh man. I can not figure out this light thing and I am getting really frustrated. I've read that the 2-3 watt per gallon rule is out of date but I'm not sure what exactly is in date. It seems every article tells me it's about the lumens and Kalvin rating. I know I need something about 6500K but how many lumens do I want? The lights are for planted 5, 10, and 20 gallons and a moderately planted 20 long. The tanks have no plants in them thus far but I am using Flourite substrate.

Oh also, I have two to fixtures and was planning on using clamp lights for whatever doesn't have the t8s.

Sadly, lumens are also a useless measurement :(

The only thing that really matters is the par rating of the light fixtures. This is the amount of light that is usable for your plants.

Here's a fairly large article on it along with measurements for different light fixtures.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368

Tat article was really helpful! For the t8 bulb would it double if there were two bulbs?

Or could I possibly use aluminum tape to create a reflector and hang the light about 18 inches from the substrate and get medium light?

Tat article was really helpful! For the t8 bulb would it double if there were two bulbs?

Yes it would.

Or could I possibly use aluminum tape to create a reflector and hang the light about 18 inches from the substrate and get medium light?

Aluminum tape is a pretty crappy reflector material. What fixture were you talking about hanging?

Last thing, sorry I have so many questions! Someone told me that with too many kalvins I will grow algae. I assume this is incorrect?

These are the fixtures. The larger one is 36" total and takes 24" bulbs. The smaller one is 24" total and takes 18" bulbs I think.

Attachments

• WP_20140530_22_40_50_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140530_22_40_50_Pro.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 45
Last thing, sorry I have so many questions! Someone told me that with too many kalvins I will grow algae. I assume this is incorrect?

That's hard to say. Kelvins relates to the temperature of the light. It's hard to find anything about 10,000k which is about the most you want for planted tanks.

These are the fixtures. The larger one is 36" total and takes 24" bulbs. The smaller one is 24" total and takes 18" bulbs I think.

What type of bulbs are they?

The bulb in the smaller fixture is a normal fluorescent bulb. The bulbs Igot with thw larger fixture all seem to be marine bulbs.

How about we start in a new direction, what light level do you want on your tanks? How much money do you have budgeted for lights?

Medium is what I'm aiming for. I figure that way I can move up to high easier when I have more experience. My budget is quite thin at the moment which is why I was hoping to use the fixtures that I have or clamp lights. I'm not really sure what exactly to budget for ready made lights because I have no idea what the price range even is haha.

Medium is what I'm aiming for. I figure that way I can move up to high easier when I have more experience. My budget is quite thin at the moment which is why I was hoping to use the fixtures that I have or clamp lights. I'm not really sure what exactly to budget for ready made lights because I have no idea what the price range even is haha.

If you went with finnex that would probably give you the best bang for your buck. Either that or Current Satellite USA.

The finnex are the ones I've looked most into and they are fairly reasonably priced.

For the 5g and 10g I'd say AquaVibrant
$60 each

For the 20g you could probably get away with your 2 fluorescent light fixtures over it until you can upgrade.

LEDs do have a high starting cost but they save you a load on electricity and you don't have to replace the bulbs for years. Not having to replace the bulbs alone will save you enough money to pay for the fixture.

Thanks so much for your help! Will the marine bulbs work? They are blue when turned on.

Back
Top Bottom