Light Timers? Do they work right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi. Lookinginto a light timer /strip that can control a biocubes 3 stage lighting and i'm a bit confused.

I'm looking at this one

Digital Power Center/Timer by Coralife - AquaCave

Will it allow the whites to come on separate from the blues? I think the second set of plugs can control the moonlights, just not sure about the dual white and blue thing.

Thanks guys. I appreciate any responses, I feel like a noob!! LOL

Just wanna be sure is all and I know you guys would all know.

No Carey, this will not do what you are wanting it to do. This only has 2 settings: on, and off. So, when the whites are off, the blues are on, and visa versa.

grrr...thanks. Do you have any idea of which one I would want? or do I need three separate actual timers?

I am not sure if they make a timer that will have 3 separate on times for 3 separate circuits in 1 unit... but you reef people are crazy, and have some cool equipment so 1 might exist. If it were me, I would just go to home depot or lowes and buy 3 cheap timers. The ones that say aquarium on them are automatically marked up 300% :)

EDIT: Here is one that will work for 6 bucks...
http://www.lowes.com/pd_148297-207-...rrentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=light+timer&facetInfo=

And a digital one for $10 (so 3 of these will still be cheaper than the C Life 1).
http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Seven-D...ltDomain_0&hash=item45fbc81c6f#ht_1949wt_1263

Last edited:
I agree, there might be something out there that will do what you want but I'm sure it will be expensive. I'm with fort (again), buy 3 cheap timers from Walmart. If you have two things that need to be on at the same time you can get a dual outlet one. I found a nice dual outlet, digital timer at Harbor Freight (dollar store of hardware stores) for $10.

LOL Yeah, I've noticed. We always get the raw end of the deal.'

The ones in home depot actually say on them Not For Aquarium Use. hehe

I'm currently using a dual timer for the 2 strips on my FW so thats nice and easy and my 125g reef only has 2 cords so I have 2 separate timers for each cord.

I'm befuddled about the 3rd light. I'm sure theres something out there. Need some hi tech reef folks to share how they have their lights setup, well, other than a controller but thats just crazy to get for lighting :-D

To answer the question in your title... no... they work left. Mine all go counter clockwise ;)

We'll ignore the fact that you're asking, in particular, about a digital timer

As long as it is plugged into a GFCI circuit, it is safe to use with an aquarium light.

To answer the question in your title... no... they work left. Mine all go counter clockwise ;)

We'll ignore the fact that you're asking, in particular, about a digital timer

LOL

The ones I have so far have little notches you press in, I don't know if it would have to be digital or not. See, I'm just confused. :banghead:

I edited my post above, and added another digital option from ebay to the list of choices.

The one on ebay is the best fit too, the biocube has 3 prong cords except for the moonlights, that one would work with the lowes one.

i have a zilla dual analog timer,ther eis two zones and one zone has a night light contact, so you can run moon lights

Back
Top Bottom