Lighting and Co2. Some better than none?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uh.oh...

Aquarium Advice Freak
If I have a 55g planted aquarium, with a dirt substrate, and this really old Coraline light fixture running two old 10000k bulbs at 65 watts, its that 65w/55g or since its two bulbs its 130w/55g? Related to that, is it low light or high light? I'm thinking low.

In the past I ran a DiY Co2 system with a 2 liter bottle and a little diffuser with one of those ceramic plates into a powerhead. It seems like my 2 liter bottle just wasn't enough for the plants and my 55g, because I had a moderate BBA outbreak. So I tried to double the system with 2 bottles, but unsuccessfully sealed the tubing and have no co2 atm. To combat the BBA I double dosed Excell daily until the little $6 bottle I purchased ran out. Its a lot less now, not completely gone, but under control. The plants grew like crazy though, it was almost worth it.

Based on my light above, is a pressurized system in my best interests, or should I start the DiY Co2 back up? I'm under the impression that is was the inconstant Co2 that caused the BBA in the first place, so I'm a little hesitant to go back. Or would my 1 liter bottle still be sufficient? My DiY drop checker never changed from dark blue, so I'm thinking my dissolved Co2 is minuscule. As of now the Co2 is off, and I'm out of Excell. I dose Flourish once a week after my water change.

DIY is not a good option for tanks over 30g or so.. it's just too hard to keep it stable. You're right, that probably helped the BBA out, as they love fluctuating co2 levels. I would think your lighting would be moderate, depending on the reflectors. You could try a split photoperiod, that's helped my non injected tanks tremendously with algae. I run 4 on, 4 off, 4 on.

Back
Top Bottom