Lighting and Need baby tears (HC)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshenanagins

Aquarium Advice Addict
So upon realizing that my 1W/G ratio of light is not going to cut it in my planted tank for optimal growth I have recently just purchased a T5 on ebay for about $70. Has anyone used the dual bulbs before and if so which specific brand do you recommend? Are daylight bulbs from HD or Lowes fine? I know brands like to talk up their bulbs regardless of whether what they claim holds weight. I know actinic is for reef setups so that will be removed but I was thinking of getting two of the 50/50 (6700/10000) bulbs. On another note, does anyone have extra dwarf baby tears (HC)? When I bought some a while ago they were ripped out by my corys because I did not plant them properly. I would rather not have to spend $25 on shipping from a website just to recieve a tiny pot worth $4. :thanks:

So upon realizing that my 1W/G ratio of light is not going to cut it in my planted tank for optimal growth I have recently just purchased a T5 on ebay for about $70. Has anyone used the dual bulbs before and if so which specific brand do you recommend? Are daylight bulbs from HD or Lowes fine? I know brands like to talk up their bulbs regardless of whether what they claim holds weight. I know actinic is for reef setups so that will be removed but I was thinking of getting two of the 50/50 (6700/10000) bulbs. On another note, does anyone have extra dwarf baby tears (HC)? When I bought some a while ago they were ripped out by my corys because I did not plant them properly. I would rather not have to spend $25 on shipping from a website just to recieve a tiny pot worth $4. :thanks:

I like the GE starcoat 6500k's, they perform well and are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the big name brands.

What kind of fixture did you get? It didn't come with bulbs?

You'll get more traffic if you put a wanted ad in the classifieds once you have the ability to post in there. I completely understand the ridiculous shipping thing with plants, it's something I personally have taken a stand against =]

Lights

I use one 54 watt freshwater pink light 6500k and one blue actinic 54 watt in my 55 and am getting great growth. I know that blue lights are for reefs but they work great in my planted tanks as well! Hope this helps and @jettajockey that is a really cool parolet!(y) I have a green one and love their personality! Good luck and feel free to ask any question you have! :)

Ok cool ill have to try the 6700 and the actinic because the seller told me that he got great growth too I just wasn't sure because like everyone says the blueish light isn't meant for plant growth

Ok cool ill have to try the 6700 and the actinic because the seller told me that he got great growth too I just wasn't sure because like everyone says the blueish light isn't meant for plant growth

It's not, actinics are meant for reef tanks. For best results you'd want something in the daylight range as it usually covers from red to blue.

Back
Top Bottom