Lighting and plant question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread is great as I am having exactly the same thing happen in my tank. I am going to change the light as I have two big t5s over my 100g tank, feed less, use tabs for my swords and look into the co2 thing. Thanks for all the info guys it is really great.

Well I got some root tabs and some flourish excel for a source of co2. I also have invested in a 9v uv sterilizer. I have yet to see any improvement from the sterilizer, but people swear by them, so I will give it a few days. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction?

Banana mouse said:
What filter do you have? Internal or external?

I have two filters that hang over the back. A aqueon 40 and a aqueon 20. The uv light is submerged. So far I have yet to see anything clear up. :/

I don't know anything about them but if there's a tube that sucks the water up you could some how do what I do and put a little filter floss/wool in there (before it gets to the filter), it works great and it will prevent you having to clean the filter from all the nasty stuff

Banana mouse said:
I don't know anything about them but if there's a tube that sucks the water up you could some how do what I do and put a little filter floss/wool in there (before it gets to the filter), it works great and it will prevent you having to clean the filter from all the nasty stuff

I honestly don't think this thing is even working. It has been in there almost 24 hours and I don't see any difference. If it doesn't work, I won't have to clean the filters. Lol!! Thanks for the tip. I will stick some extra filter stuff up the intake tube. Good idea!

Although it wasn't that bad to begin with, I kept it under control with 50% water changes. It was just very hazy. Seems like it is getting worse. I guess I am just being impatient. I don't know. I put a closed plastic Baggie in there to catch some of the water in it from the uv sterilizer. And then compared with a Baggie of tank water from the other side. They looked the same.

Btw don't acturly put it in the tubes it will damage your filter. If you have one of them things that stops the fish getting into the filter put it in there.

image-3070026936.jpg

I'm afraid I don't know how to help you with your problem but I just wanted to pass that tip

Banana mouse said:
Btw don't acturly put it in the tubes it will damage your filter. If you have one of them things that stops the fish getting into the filter put it in there.

I'm afraid I don't know how to help you with your problem but I just wanted to pass that tip

Okay. Gotcha! Thanks for letting me know.

I would do a 50%-75% water change followed by a 3 day blackout. Then go back to normal for three days and do the same once more. That should do it.

The only way to get rid of the algea bloom in the water is to change as much water as u can and take away the light that is helping it grow.

And I got one more question what type of water are u using? Well water, spring water, city water?

beernboots said:
And I got one more question what type of water are u using? Well water, spring water, city water?

I bought a uv sterilizer to get rid of the free floating algae. It isn't working even though everyone has said it works miracles. I have two swords and two anubias. And want to add more once I get this water straightened out. I have tried blackout and I had no luck. When I do a water change once a week I do 50%. I use tap, city water. Any ideas?

Gotta do a 75% and then a immediately blackout for 3 days. After that another 75% water change and another 3 day blackout. While ur doin this u might wanna take half ur ornaments out on the first blackout and boil them and on the second blackout boil the other half of ur ornaments.

At this point I wouldn't put anything in there to get ur plants growing. Anything u put in ur tank to help ur tank is just gonna help the algea bloom too.

Excuse me anything u put in ur tank to help ur plants grow will also help the algea bloom. That probably why it got worse.

Have u treated ur water for anything recently or had to remove ur filters for a period of time?

Also between ur blackouts do three days of light so it don't freak out ur fish and kill ur plants.

Hey, beernboots instead of making lots of new posts try using the edit feature to add more advice to your first post. It helps keep the threads more concise and easy to follow. :)

Back
Top Bottom