Lighting and substrate for 50 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jm667

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a 50 gallon tank (36x18x18) and need some suggestions for light. I want to have some nice easy to grow plants, but don't want to get into stuff thats too hard or dealing with injected CO2. I also don't want to spend a ton on lights. I am going to build a canopy, and I have heard of people just using shoplight fixtures in those. So I thought about getting one or two twin tube T5 fixtures (2-21 watt tubes in each one) from Home Depot for $30 each. So that would be either 42 watts or 84 if I get two. Then I'd probably need to get different bulbs though than the ones that come with it, right? Would I need bulbs with at least 6700K? Is this a good idea, or do you have other suggestions or can you point me to links? I would like to keep this in the price range I mentioned, around $50-75 or so. Or if you have some links to fixtures that might be better or other ideas, feel free to share.

As far as substrate, I want something that is black. Will gravel be sufficient, or would I need something else?

I actually ran across that one and was thinking it looked good. Since I have a glass top, I could just sit it on top of the glass and still build a canopy over the top, it doesn't necessarily have to be mounted to it I guess. My tank also came with a single strip T8 fixture, so the other thing I was thinking was maybe getting one of these fixtures and then use the T8 I have, and that would be 42w + 30w for 72 total. Only thing I just noticed was that after looking around that site and others, I did not see any replacement 36" T5 NO bulbs. They are all HO. Is that a hard size to find?

i have a 36 in. fixture the lights are in stock but there are a couple of big als close to me. i'm not sure why they show every size but that bulb online.

Back
Top Bottom