lighting confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoneFishing

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I think I got the lighting figured out but I wanna run it by you guys to make sure.. I have the stock cheap bulb in my hood and want to upgrade to a t8 seeing how my wife is afraid fish will commit suicide without the hood or else I would get t5. Anyway, I was looking at the lifeglo 2, 20watt 6700k. I have low to med light demand plants and was hoping this would be a good solution.. my hood is 30" light is 24" is there anything else you would suggest instead or will this be gtg?

How big is the tank? A 30" tank with a 20w bulb is most likely not going to have enough light for anything above java moss/fern and anubias. Glass tops, if you must, can be used under T5HO fixtures.

Yeah, that's not going to be even close to medium light. I'd say a 2x24w 30" T5HO would be a good option, and put you right at the line for co2, so it wouldn't be necessary, but would be beneficial.

Wow those lights aren't cheap.. rather the fixtures aren't cheap.. are all the t5ho fixtures hopeless?

No, i thought you meant hopeless... you wont be running a hood, you'd be running glass tops. those are usually about $15 or so at the LFS. But, FWIW, I never use one. Only a few fish are known to jump, though I make sure they don't have a reason to.

No, i thought you meant hopeless... you wont be running a hood, you'd be running glass tops. those are usually about $15 or so at the LFS. But, FWIW, I never use one. Only a few fish are known to jump, though I make sure they don't have a reason to.

Very cool, way cheaper there than I have seen.. glass top is needed so I'll have to look for that, not sure the lfs has them.. I was looking at the 4 bulb vs the 2 bulb, and was wondering If you can run 1 white and 1 blue? or are both bulbs on the same switch?

Very cool, way cheaper there than I have seen.. glass top is needed so I'll have to look for that, not sure the lfs has them.. I was looking at the 4 bulb vs the 2 bulb, and was wondering If you can run 1 white and 1 blue? or are both bulbs on the same switch?

or would doing 1 white 1 blue defeat the purpose of buying this setup

Back
Top Bottom