Lighting fixture broke with live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

librarygirl

Look It Up
I hope this isn't a silly question.

My standard cheap florescent single-bulb T8 light fixture just broke. I came home to find the tank light off and it's on a timer so it should have been on. I checked the bulb and one end was blackish so I thought the bulb blew out. I have a spare bulb but I installed it and it doesn't work. I unplugged the light from the timer and plugged it into the wall directly but it still won't turn on. This is the second cheap fixture that died on me in six months. :facepalm:

I can't get another light fixture until Friday; will my plants die? They are all relatively low-light (Anubias, Windelov, Java Fern, Java Moss, Riccia on driftwood). The room they are in gets some ambient light if the sun is out but today was dreary and it's supposed to rain the next few days so the room gets pretty dark. I checked on the fish and they still seem to think it's night-time. :( I put the lamps on in the room but the tank still seems dark to me, particularly with the hood over the top.

I guess the lucky thing is I don't have a slew of live plants so if they all die I can replace them. But I'd rather avoid it if I can :)

Since I have to upgrade lights anyway I may as well go higher light for the plants. I don't want anything too bright because I have light sensitivity and until I get better (hopefully soon) I don't want to give myself a migraine looking at the tank. Any suggestions? If not I may just buy another cheap hood fixture for now. Thanks in advance.

I think your plants should be fine, in my mates tank we left the light off for 6 days due to an algae outbreak and his plants were fine

I left the lights off on a tank with wisteria for about a week. Came back to a completely algae free tank, but the plants looked like nothing had happened.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom