Lighting for 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacos377

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have been thinking about converting my old freshwater tank to a planted tank. I have got all the supplies down except any lighting. My tank dimensions are 20 w-12 h- 10 d. Suggestions?

I don't really want to spend more than fifty dollars. Right now I have two 13 watt 6500k cfls screwed into an incandescent hood. Is this good enough to grow all low light plants?

Yes though you could put in higher wattage CFLs if you desire more light.

Anubias, some Crypts, anacharis, other mosses, etc.

Check plantgeek.net. They have a database that you can sort by lighting requirement.

Those lights will work, but the swirly lights are not very efficient for lighting an aquarium because the swirly lights are meant for vertical fixtures, and your hood is likely a horizontal fixture and you are losing some light towards the side of the hood. It is hard to explain, but i think that you will get more lighting by using cfls like Lights Of America 10 Watt Mini Fluorescent Aquarium Bulb, 1ct: Fish : Walmart.com because they distribute the light better even though the bulb has less wattage. Correct me if i'm wrong...

No, as long as you are willing to dose fertilizers and add CO2 as necessary. Plants need light, CO2, and fertilizers and if you add one, you need to add the other two becausse if you have excess ferts but not enough light or CO2 then your plants will not benefit much and you will have an algae problem.

Back
Top Bottom