Lighting for 20g planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChicagoReefer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! I have been doing reefs the past few years, but I have just been givin a fw tank to fool around with. I need suggestions for lighting. I am leaning towards t5's right now. I do not want to be restricted when it comes to plant selection, so I will welcome coments.

If you're talking about t5ho bulbs then I suggest a fixture with one bulb and a good reflector. Even then you may need to raise the fixture because you will be in the high-light category. So co2 and fert dosing will be needed. However you should be able to grow almost anything with that combo.

Is this a 20g tall or long? Ultimately, your choice to get a CO2 setup will be what determines your plant choice limitation.

I have a 20 gallon High that that I put Amazon.com: Zoo Med AquaSun T5-HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hood, 24-Inch: Pet Supplies on. It is planted with probably 15 Med/High light plants. There was an increase in algae on the walls, so I added 2 Bristlenose Plecos and 3 Snails. There's no algae anymore, and the plants are all flourishing. I am not using CO2, and using excel twice a week.

The light is mounted with book shelf angles about a foot above the tank, with the mounting strings hanging about 4" down, leaving about 6" of space between the tank and the light, with a glass top.

There is a good amount of criticism for this light, as it's a poor quality light, not EL listed, and mathematically a dual T5HO is way too much light for 20 gallons. At first I started with using only 1 bulb on, but my high light plants weren't growing. I now have both bulbs on. If it was a high quality reflector, I would have algae city.

In my special case, everything is working perfectly, but there are many things that can go wrong. Maybe worth a try for the low cost.

Back
Top Bottom