Lighting for 20H

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello AA members! I haven't been on in a while but I have one question. I will turn my 20 gallon tall tank into a planted one. It will have Eco complete for gravel, pressurized co2, and PPS pro fertilizer. The one problem is that I don't know what light to use. I will have some staurogyne repens, Java moss, java fern, crypt parva, and a couple of other cryptocoryne species. Also, any other plants that you might recommend. I currently have a finned fugeray 20" that I can use but I don't know if it will be strong enough. I was also considering a finnex ray 2 24" for the tank instead. Would that be too strong? Would the fugeray be okay? What other lights do you recommend?

Thanks!

Welcone back!!! I think you'll be good with a 24" ray 2. I have a planted plus on my low tech 20 tall and it's growing med light plants extremely well..n

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok thanks for the reply! I have heard that the ray 2 will be too powerful, is that possible? I will mostly be growing medium light plants so i dont want something too strong.

I think as long as you're running co2 it will be ok, the planted plus might be better in that it offers reds in the mix.. as long as you're not going for a hairgrass carpet or anything too demanding that is

Ok I'll look at the planted plus to see if it is cheaper. If that is cheaper than the ray 2 then that is probably where I will go. So it sounds like the fugeray won't be an option then?

I'd also go with the planted+. The dedicated red LEDs make a difference. Not only in the growth of the plants, but also the color of your livestock. The Ray 2 tends to washout color and give a drab appearance by comparison.

Well that sounds like the best idea then! I will check out the prices of the planted plus (im assuming thats the fugeray planted plus?) and see how that compares to the ray 2. Thanks!

I run a 29g (same height as yours, just longer) also with PPS-pro, co2, and the planted+. Pretty satisfied so far and I think you will be too particularly if you're keeping lower demand plants. Because of the height of our tanks the planted+ ends up not very strong so if you want higher light plants in the future you may need a second light (which I am currently contemplating). Great light to start off with though. Lemme know if you want any more specifics about my set up (photoperiod, co2, plant list, etc).

I would love to hear about your setup (especially the dosage for PPS Pro). I wouldn't think that I would want many plants that require more light than Staur. Repens. Would a Ray 2 be worth the investment then? Many have said that it gives tons of algae. The planted plus seems slightly cheaper so that might be better. The Ray 2 would be useful to have if it helps me grow more plants better.

Pertaining to the reds and blues of the planted+. I got this off of the internet, so it has to be true:

10. What specific wavelengths of light are required for the process of photosynthesis? If you placed a plant into an environment where it only received green light, would you expect a high or low rate of photosynthesis from the plant? Explain your answer. Red (660 nm) and blue (440 nm) lights are required for the process of photosynthesis. Low rate of photosynthesis from the plant is expected if a plant is placed into an environment where only green light is received. Chlorophyll reflects green wavelength (550 nm) and absorbs the blues and the reds most.

I'm very familiar with the Ray 2, I've had 3 at one point. It's a capable fixture, no doubt. But since all white "daylight" LEDs are actually blue diodes with a yellow phosphor dye, which is why it emits white light, the underlining spectrum is disproportionately blue. In other words, it grows green plants great but IME, most of my red plants faded to green or not as red as they could potentially be. Also, it washout colors in my livestock, made them look drab. Once I switched to a Fugeray-R in my nano tank, and dual Current Satellite LEDs in my larger tank, colors became more vibrant and just popped. The Planted+, IMO, is way better because it gets closer to full spectrum over the Ray 2.

I would love to hear about your setup (especially the dosage for PPS Pro). I wouldn't think that I would want many plants that require more light than Staur. Repens. Would a Ray 2 be worth the investment then? Many have said that it gives tons of algae. The planted plus seems slightly cheaper so that might be better. The Ray 2 would be useful to have if it helps me grow more plants better.

Definitely agree with Brian on his take between the ray2 and planted+. I'd start with the planted+ and work from there. It'll definitely grow a ton of plants very well and later on when you begin to seek higher light ground cover or stems then you can add more light if necessary. My pps-pro is pretty basic I just dose via the standard formula per gallon, with a slight increase in micros. Working fine so far.

Ok sounds like the planted plus is the right choice. I've seen it running for around $75 whereas the ray 2 is $90. Lastly, I will need to take a look at the planted plus PAR values which I think I have bookmarked somewhere. Otherwise the planted plus seems like it kills the ray 2 in all areas.

It is a good light. I know because I have one. But, the Ray2 does have more PAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so the Planted+ seems like it's the best option by far, but I haven't been able to find PAR values on it :banghead: so I'm just going to take your word for it that it will grow medium light plants fairly well with pressurized co2 and PPS pro.

Lowe on TPT is the rep from Finnex on TPT. Check out this thread, kind of explains why there's no official PAR numbers.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=338114

A typical quantum Apogee PAR meter can't register beyond 650nm. The red wavelength on the Planted+ is in the 660nm range. But comparing the watts between a Ray 2 and Planted+ of the same length, the power consumption is about equal. Difference of like 3 watts.

Have you also considered BML?

Last edited:
Lowe on TPT is the rep from Finnex on TPT. Check out this thread, kind of explains why there's no official PAR numbers.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=338114

A typical quantum Apogee PAR meter can't register beyond 650nm. The red wavelength on the Planted+ is in the 660nm range. But comparing the watts between a Ray 2 and Planted+ of the same length, the power consumption is about equal. Difference of like 3 watts.

Have you also considered BML?

Yes I have seen Lowe on a few TPT threads (don't have an account but have viewed some). Thats good that they are similar. I have considered BML but heard its too strong for what I'm looking for. And too expensive TBH. Would BML be too strong?

It might be at full throttle.. But because it has a dimmer option, you can dial in the intensity to cover any light need you want without needing to buy another fixture or upgrade in the future if you wanted high light. But yeah, it's not as economical as Finnex.

Well I looked at BML but I decided against it. For a 6300k or 7000k 24" light it would be $180 which is okay if I were going SUPER high light, but considering that doesn't include shipping or a dimmer it's just not an option. I still haven't found Planted+ PAR values but I might contact Lowe to see if he/she knows.

I'd hazard a guess of 35-45 par at 15"?? I guarantee you'll be happy with one p plus. If not?? Just double up;) can't go wrong for a $100 light..

Back
Top Bottom