Lighting for 29 gallon tall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaiah12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well title says it all. I was wondering, what lighting should I have for a 29 gallon planted tank? I have a full hood with and Aqueon 17 watt florescent bulb in it. I don't think that is enough though, because my plants are a little light deprived.

thanks

Well title says it all. I was wondering, what lighting should I have for a 29 gallon planted tank? I have a full hood with and Aqueon 17 watt florescent bulb in it. I don't think that is enough though, because my plants are a little light deprived.

thanks

I've wondered the same thing. 29gs are problematic because they are tall.
It seems like there is not much more you can do to make the lighting better with that light fixture, you need a new one for more power.

That being said, I have 2 29g tanks that both use the standard hood and light that came with them, just like yours. 17 watt, 2 year old bulbs ;)
It grows everything I need it to grow. Anubias, java fern, java moss, hornwort, crypts, vals. They all do fine and actually grow. I also have the entire surface covered in frogbit, so that's even less light reaching the bottom of the tank! However, plants like ludwigia that have med light requirements do not grow, but they do not die either. Cabomba doesn't look very good in my 29gs.

I did buy a new bulb for one of my 29gs, it's a 17watt floramax bulb. I see NO difference in plant growth, but the light does look a little pink which I do not like- I prefer my old cheap bulb!

So, if you want to grow low light plants, you will be fine. My 29gs are heavily planted and I have no problems, and like I said, the entire surface is covered in floating plants which makes the light even dimmer. If you want to grow med-high light plants, you will want a new light fixture.

Hey all! Same issue here. Is your tank like 19" deep Gaby?

Yup, that's the one. It's annoying, the standard light fixtures that come with 29gs use 24" bulbs, but the length of the tank is 30"! So that means there are 6" that are not under the light bulb, yknow? They still get light, but certainly not much. The back 2 corners are quite dark. So, I stick jungle vals and hornwort along the back edges because they will grow in that amount of low light while other plants might not. Jungle vals are my favorite plant, if you haven't noticed....

BUT, if you don't cover the surface of the water like I do with floating plants, your light will be brighter than mine ;)

Thank you sooo much. I was gonna go with silk plants but I think I may try a few live ones until I can save the extra for a different fixture. Who knows, if this works for me I may just keep the light I have!!!

Justme68 said:
Thank you sooo much. I was gonna go with silk plants but I think I may try a few live ones until I can save the extra for a different fixture. Who knows, if this works for me I may just keep the light I have!!!

Yup, just choose plants suitable for the light you have. Look for low and very low light plants, and it will look great!

Back
Top Bottom