Lighting for 29g biocube sw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LiiDsz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys !!! so if you seen my others threads you would know that I'm a newbie to sw but I'm trying. I just notice that the actinic light is out I guess it busted but I also hear from post that the stock lights are the best to go with. I'm aiming for a reef tank I'm still in the cycle process but I would like to get everything up and ready so that in a couple of months when adding my fish and corals and what not everything is already prepared. I don't want to mod the hood or take it off and replace it with a fixture is there just a bulb I can get to replace that one that will be better for different type of coral ?

You might have better luck just asking what brand of 36 watt power compact bulbs people suggest using... I'd answer but I don't know myself. I just replaced the PC bulbs in my red sea max and went with the stock replacement ones.

Ditch the stock lighting and do either a retro DIY led kit or mod the good for led's. those power compacts aren't going to be able to sustain much and your gonna have some heat issues to deal with IMO.

I agree the LEDs would be better (PCs can sustain plenty though), but he already said he wanted to keep the hood and didn't want to mod it.

I agree the LEDs would be better (PCs can sustain plenty though), but he already said he wanted to keep the hood and didn't want to mod it.

Then your limited to what your gonna be able to keep. They make a ton of DIY led kits for the fm good for a reasons. The bio cube should rethink there lighting and come out with something good. I modded my hood and put in an AI SOL LED Fixture and keep whatever I want and no heat issues. Before I was floating ice cubes in a zip lock bag.

Also he asked for a "better" light for the hood for a bigger selection of corals. So then the answer is no... The end. Call the company and get a replacement bulb but what you see is what you get pretty much cut and dry.

They do have a newer model with add on led strips available and the HQI model also.

Before buying you should figure out what it is you wanna keep and build your tank around that IMO.

If I come off rude or harsh it's not intended at all.

No Hun your not Rudd at all and I'm a she :) but yeah I'm really new to owning my own tank. I'm experience in sw and fw mainly because my job ( head of the fish dept at a pet store (( not petco or petsmart )) ) requires me to be. Though this is my first tank so I'm afraid to mod and end up messing up the entire tank i don't know what I'm doing I will be honest so I'm worried.

No Hun your not Rudd at all and I'm a she :) but yeah I'm really new to owning my own tank. I'm experience in sw and fw mainly because my job ( head of the fish dept at a pet store (( not petco or petsmart )) ) requires me to be. Though this is my first tank so I'm afraid to mod and end up messing up the entire tank i don't know what I'm doing I will be honest so I'm worried.

No need to me worried. What exactly do you wanna keep? Type of corals? You may not have to do anything. Nems, SPS and other type will require higher light.

LiveAquaria is a good site to start.

I would definitely like to have a green tip long tentacle anemone of some type as housing or shelter for a percula clown, a bubble anemone or a blue carpet amemone, a green or red brain of some sort , some nice torch coral, descent size lavender mushroom, orange green polyp colony, candy cane coral , trumpet coral but this is in the long run when my tank is done cycling this is what I would like to work towards, but I would like to be prepared and get everything i would need now so when its complete cycled start buying. Not in a Hugh rush for putting anything in it yet taking my time .

I would definitely like to have a green tip long tentacle anemone of some type as housing or shelter for a percula clown, a bubble anemone or a blue carpet amemone, a green or red brain of some sort , some nice torch coral, descent size lavender mushroom, orange green polyp colony, candy cane coral , trumpet coral but this is in the long run when my tank is done cycling this is what I would like to work towards, but I would like to be prepared and get everything i would need now so when its complete cycled start buying. Not in a Hugh rush for putting anything in it yet taking my time .

IMO with some of those corals your gonna want to upgrade your lighting. Also have you thought about adding a power head or even upgrading the stock pump?

You can upgrade the current bulbs to the 40 watt bulbs but that's about it.. as for not being able to keep anemones that is false I've had mine for two years know under a total of 80 watt pc in my 24 aquapod... Candy canes ,brains mushrooms leathers Zoas star polpys Xenia Kenya all do extremely well not just surving but growing extremely well also...

Those brains would look better and healthier with better lighting IMO. I would but anything like that under those power compacts but that's just me. I'm not start a pissing match with you over lighting of the bio cube and what you need for what corals. Point is... You have those corals yes. Are they surviving? Yes... Are they thriving? IMO no...

To the OP if you want healthy looking corals with amazing colors and a thriving tank either upgrade the lighting or stick to what will work in the tank under the stock conditions.

Of course water parameters, salinity etc all play a HUGE roll as well as tank maintenance.

Was not trying to start a pissing contest was just informing the op that a cheap upgrade to 40 watt pc bulbs which can be done with out a new ballast that these corals can be kept ...As for the brains they are growing and have realy good color the red one has doubled in size...And not sure but this pic imo it seems to look good and healthy ...

ForumRunner_20130616_104122.jpg

IMO with some of those corals your gonna want to upgrade your lighting. Also have you thought about adding a power head or even upgrading the stock pump?

I've actually have modded the filtration a little I have a marine land mj1200 powerhead in the tank and in chamber one a protein skimmer and heater chamber 2 DIY media rack with live rock rubble purgien and chemi pure and chamber 3 is coral life s-100. Salinity is sitting pretty at 1.025 the temp is 84.4 and I've only had the tank up and running 4 days 2 turbo snails were attach to the lr from my job and made it to my tank but they are doing great. my nitrate was high as well as my ammonia so I did a 5% water change last night so I'm gonna test it later on tonight and suggestions? Also if I do mod the hood what do you suggest I go with given the type or corals I'm trying to house?

Attachments

• image-3507467907.jpg
    image-3507467907.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 66
You don't need to do a water change until the cycle is finished. You want the levels to raise so the proper bacteria can develop, and then the levels will drop off on their own. That is how you will know when your cycle is finished.

For lighting... I would upgrade to something like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOCUBE-29-GALLON-DIY-WITH-20-LED-LIGHT-KIT-W-BALLAST-DIMMABLE-60W-NANO-LIGHTING/281083802663?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222005%26algo%3DSIC.NUQ%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D16096%26meid%3D8419890970565667246%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D7683%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D280775055604%26

If you mod the hood and go with a led you can keep sps lps if you just do a bulb upgrade like I suggested you will be limited to Softys and some lps corals ..

If you mod the hood and go with a led you can keep sps lps if you just do a bulb upgrade like I suggested you will be limited to Softys and some lps corals ..

I also have a uv sterilizer I just haven't plugged it in yet I'm on a little bit of a budget as well and we don't sell those lights at my job any cheaper sites I can look for. Or DIY kits that are cheaper ?

Lighting is going to be expensive. I suggest you stick with the stock lights for now and upgrade later when you have some extra cash. The PC bulbs aren't that bad and there are plenty of corals which will thrive under them.

Back
Top Bottom