Lighting for 400 litre reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DI68

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a new Aquareef 400 and it came with 4 x 54w T5s as standard. Prior to that I had the same model but a 300 litre which the previous owner upgraded with LEDS.My hammers, morphs, ricordeas,scolys, frogspawn and elegance all look to be doing well but my leathers aren't with one bleached already and the other starting to lose colour and wilting. Are the T5s too strong for them or too weak? The bleached one is on the floor of the tank where it's always been and the other is higher. Wondering whether it's worth paying out more $$$ for new lighting or avoid leathers in future? thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

T5's are pretty bright, bright than most LED's, you would need some pretty spendy LED lights.

Yeah and I just bought another AquaReef today...the 195 cube so will be facing the same situation. The thing which disappoints me is you don't really see the blue or get to change to moonlight with their standard lighting system. Would love to get the lights some people have which mimics lightening etc

The key is acclimation to new lighting. In terms of going to LEDs...LEDs penetrate water much better than bulbs do. When I went from my 4 bulb T5HO to my Radions, I burned all of my coral to death because I didn't turn down the power on them.
The lights that you have should be just fine for what you want to keep in this tank. Just only turn on half the lights for a couple of weeks if you think it is too much light right away for them.
In terms of lighting that mimics lightening...it grows old really quick. In my tank it scared the fish. I'm sure it is something that would get adjusted to, but it really wasn't for me and I turned it off.

Thanks but unfortunately it's all or nothing with these lights. There is no switch to turn off the whites or half the tubes which surprised me

Well that is very odd for t5ho. Then have you considered putting layers of mesh screen over the tank and removing one a week? This will also cut back on the lighting.
These are T5HO right? If not it might just be a lack of lighting and need more.

I was surprised no switches so may just have to cough up some more money and get some LEDs like I had before.

Back
Top Bottom