Lighting for a beginner 10g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PinkBetta13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, I am new here. I have a mature tank that originally had only fish, but now I am wanting to try my hand at converting it into a planted aquarium. It currently has 1 crown tail betta, 1 albino cori cat, 2 Julius cori cats, 4 white cloud minnows, 3 ghost shrimp, and one CAE. I know I shouldn't have the algae water in such a small tank but I was suckered into getting one when I first started the tank 3 years ago.

As far as plants I have 2 bundles of Amazon sword grass and a fair amount of rotela indica. The grass is starting to make new growth so I guess that is a good sign! I don't have much of a green thumb so I only purchased these few plants just to see how it goes before investing a whole lot.

Now to get to the root of the question. Lighting. I have the standard 1 bulb t8 fixture with aqueon full spectrum bulb. I know it's not the best bulb, but I have ordered a zoo med flora sun bulb from my lfs. Playing the waiting game till it arrives. Will one bulb be enough? I have been reading conflicting statements online. Some saying 30watts per 10g, and others 15watts per 10g. I don't have a lot of money to so a lot of upgrading and I am in an apartment so I can't be hanging diy lighting from the ceiling lol. Does anyone have any recommendations, opinions, or advise?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your light will work. Just match some low light, easy care plants to your light level. There are many beautiful plants that will work for you that doesn't require the expensive upgrades. Look at the different anubias and cryptocorynes. OS.

Thank you for the recommendation :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom