Lighting for Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfool58

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Need new lights for a 75gal African tank, has some java ferns, & anubias.. My lights flicker when I turn them on, here is a picture of the current light bulbs.. My fixture has two 24 inch bulbs.. I don't know much about lighting, but I know lplants grow with a 6500k bulb.. Idk if I should get one for plants or if there is a better one to compliment the fish & help the plants.

Attachments

• image-1026025254.jpg
    image-1026025254.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 101
What kind of lights do you have bro? And show a pic please I know o don't need to beg can't believe you haven't done it yet Haha

I use ATI bulbs. I have a 5 bulb fixture. If you want colors to really pop the ATI bulbs are the way to go!

I have these lights on my 75 gallon.

ATI's

2 aqua blue specials, 1 purple plus and 1 blue plus

image-3304037524.jpg

That picture is with just the purple plus and blue plus.

image-1501905298.jpg

That picture is with all 4 bulbs on. I only keep the 4 on for a little while then the purple and blue for the rest of the time. Your plants will be gone with those bulbs.

You can do 1 aqua blue special which will give you the daylight effect with a blue shimmer to bring out colors. And to make thinks pop you can add a purple plus.

There really for saltwater but they really help bring out the colors in the fish. Check my album for more pics.

You can see how bright the 2nd pic is with all 4 bulbs on. There T5's and at night I run the moon lights, it's 6 LED blues.

Convict2161 said:
I use ATI bulbs. I have a 5 bulb fixture. If you want colors to really pop the ATI bulbs are the way to go!

I have these lights on my 75 gallon.

ATI's

2 aqua blue specials, 1 purple plus and 1 blue plus

That picture is with just the purple plus and blue plus.

That picture is with all 4 bulbs on. I only keep the 4 on for a little while then the purple and blue for the rest of the time. Your plants will be gone with those bulbs.

You can do 1 aqua blue special which will give you the daylight effect with a blue shimmer to bring out colors. And to make thinks pop you can add a purple plus.

There really for saltwater but they really help bring out the colors in the fish. Check my album for more pics.

You can see how bright the 2nd pic is with all 4 bulbs on. There T5's and at night I run the moon lights, it's 6 LED blues.

Thank you!! So I'll need a new fixture then basically.. Cause mine is 2 little 24 inch bulbs side by side to cover the whole length of tank..

You don't need to really. I mean I tend to go overboard but in the end to me it's worth it.

You can get a nice fixture to cover the span I the tank. The other thing I did which I think helps a lot is I got rid of the glass tops. It reflects some of the light and IMO takes away from the shimmer.

Convict2161 said:
You don't need to really. I mean I tend to go overboard but in the end to me it's worth it.

You can get a nice fixture to cover the span I the tank. The other thing I did which I think helps a lot is I got rid of the glass tops. It reflects some of the light and IMO takes away from the shimmer.

I thought about taking my glass top off, but I didn't know if my fish would jump out.. & wasn't sure about evaporation..

fishfool58 said:
I thought about taking my glass top off, but I didn't know if my fish would jump out.. & wasn't sure about evaporation..

I don't have issues with fish jumping at all. Evap maybe but nothing major. When I see it getting low IF it does I just add Prime to a bucket and top off.

fishfool58 said:

They can jump out but more then likely they wont. Evaporation will be worse

Convict2161 said:
I don't have issues with fish jumping at all. Evap maybe but nothing major. When I see it getting low IF it does I just add Prime to a bucket and top off.

Wait did we just say the same thing Haha we think more alike everyday. I like it without aswell but my turtle trys to run away because he is scared of my Cichlids. If you can clean the tops at every water change weekly it gets better and more light will show threw

Last edited:
Andrew McFadden said:
Wait did we just say the same thing Haha we think more alike everyday. I like it without aswell but my turtle true to run away because he is scared of my Cichlids. If you can clean the tops at every water change weekly it gets better and more light will show threw

Well mine are pretty bad, they were left with water before I got it, I might need lime away or something to get them clean.. & I have Cichlid fry, albino BN plecos, & then some zebra danios..

Back
Top Bottom