Lighting for Frameless Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonysss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the lighting for a tank. I've never paid attention in my physics class so buying the right lighting for my tank seems extra confusing haha.

My primary questions include (for planted tank without C02):
1. Fluorescent or LED? What are their functional differences?

2. How many watts per gallon? How do you tell how many watts you're emitting? Most bulbs just say 12 inch t8 or something to that effect.

3. What's the difference between t-8, t-12, and t-5?

4. What are the different spectrum lights available, for example the common ones I see are 10k and 3k or 6.4k. Which one should i choose?

5.Lighting just seem so expensive; almost the cost of the tank itself. Could someone recommend a brand or a way of buying them cost efficiently?

6. I current use an aqueon system so the lighting fixture is provided but I'm planning out a frameless aquarium and would love to hear some advice on what type of hanging or other types of fixtures to use for this type of nonstandard aquarium.

are you trying to do a planted tank or just a standard fish only?

gotcha! i will answer what i can!

1)i would go with fluorescent. its a much easier concept to master.
2)most fixtures are where you are getting your watts from. you need 1-2 watt p/g for a low light setup. 2.5+ for anything else. it varies fixture to fixture. it should say somewhere. you can list some you were looking at to see if someone can deduce what they are.
3) the different will mainly be the size(width) of the bulbs and how energy efficient they are. i cant remember which is more efficient but t5 seems the way that most people go.
4)6500k is the most popular for planted tanks.
5) cost efficiency- depends on what size tank you have. i might be able to reccomend certain ones if i know your tank size.(home depot has some good t5 work lights available)
6) a lot of the worklights can be hung up but arent as pretty. if you are looking fr something sleek you can expect to pay i bit more.

i have personally used florescent t5, incandescent, and LEDs i have had the most succes with my t5 fixture.

Thanks for the in depth reply! I was afraid I was asking for too much info but you answered my primary concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No problem! If there is anything else we can answer just let us know :)

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom