Lighting for Planted Tank? 5,500K with either 6,500K or 10,000K?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAWRRitsEDWINN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. I recently bought the Zoo Med T-5 HO Double Light Fixture. It did not come with bulbs, so I have to buy my own. I plan on having a planted tank.

I know for sure as one of the bulbs, I am going to get the Flora Sun Bulb (5,500K). But I am still undecided about the 2nd bulb. The box says that it would be good to pair it with the Ultra Sun Super Daylight bulb (6,500K). The other choice is the Ocean Sun (10,000K).

I have read a lot of people use both combinations, but what would be best? Using the 6,500K or the 10,000K?

Zoo Med AquaSun T-5 HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hood
Zoo Med T-5 HO Flora Sun Max Plant Growth Fluorescent Bulb
Zoo Med T-5 HO Ultra Sun Super Daylight Fluorescent Bulb
Zoo Med T-5 HO Ocean Sun 10,000K Fluorescent Bulb

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a personal preference. I like the SuperSun. But I like the look of my tank under 6,500K bulbs.
I just got two new mini CFL SuperSuns. Many like how bright the 10,00K look, but to me it's harsh. Both will grow plants.

Hello!

I have edited your post to fix your URLs. They are no correctly directing to petco's site.

As long as actinic bulbs are avoided, color temperature plays little to no difference. The popular idea is that 6700-6500k are best, but I have seen no actual evidence of this, and plenty of evidence of 10000K, 18000K, and 2300K bulbs performing well in planted tanks. It all comes down to what you personally prefer. I prefer the look of 6500K bulbs, as when coupled with a low kelvin bulb it gives the tank a warmer look. The 10000K bulbs have a more white look to them, which some other people prefer. The 10000K+6500K combination is also popular.

Back
Top Bottom