Lighting help for 55?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd like to change my 55gal to a planted tank; I tried it once before but made the noob mistake of just throwing them in there and then they all died. I've done more research now and I'm pretty sure I should upgrade my lighting. Right now I've got 2 24" 20w GE fluorescent bulbs, which would be less than 1 watt per gallon, right? I was thinking about low-medium light plants, nothing that requires high lighting. Any advice on what I should upgrade to? and where I can buy the supplies?

something like a 2x54w T5HO would be good for medium light, right around 2wpg... there are tons of places to get them, one of the cheapest i have found is at fish need it;lights; food;Sponge... several people on here have bought lights from there and love them. Current is another good brand... the nova extreme is nice, but pricier

Thanks! Do I need a new fixture for t5 bulbs? Or should they work with the fluorescent fixtures Im using now?

whole new fixture. i think that you can get retro kits and upgrade it but i think that you're better off just getting a new fixture

Back
Top Bottom