Lighting help for a 2.5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys, I recently sold off my 75 gallon reef ( found out I'm pregnant, and I know I wont be able to keep up with large water changes, reef maintnance etc.. )and was looking into starting a small ( 2.5 gallon) if possible, planted tank for a Beta - my urge to keep a tank of some sort is getting to me!

my question is, I have been doing some research into planted tanks, but I'm having trouble trying to figure out what kind of lighting for a small tnak like this with only a few live probably lower light, more hardy, plants.

I have not set up yet, but have the other equipment. Any infro would be appreciated :)

Congratulations!!! That's awesome!! I think for that type of tank a regular screw type low cost energy efficient household bulb would be fine.

Thanks!! :) So sad to see the reef go, but we're very happy and excited.

Oh really? Great! Sounds much easier than what I was anticipating then. So just a regular ol low cost bulb will do? I know plants require sunlight type light spectrums..

I have a 2.5 gallon tank.

The substrate is organic potting soil capped with sand.
Plants are crypts and microsword.
I dose excel daily.
Lighting is a lamp, with a cfl bulb.
It has a sponge filter, and aquaclear 25w heater.
I dont have any shrimp yet, but im getting rcs in the future.

Attachments

• image-2650512074.jpg
    image-2650512074.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 49
I think the light listed above would look good, but i heard that it isnt good for growing plants.

Any daylight cfl in the 5500-6500k range should work. I had 4-6500k 23w daylight cfl's on my 40b and it grew anubia and java fern really well.

I think the light listed above would look good, but i heard that it isnt good for growing plants.

I know it's not the best thing in the world but you don't think it would work for some low light plants being that the tank is only 6" deep? Asking for the OP and for myself haha.

Awesome. Did you guys just use a clamp lamp to hold the bulb or is there a slightly better option?

Thanks for the info :)

Back
Top Bottom