Lighting in my 29gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettyvacant

Aquarium Advice Activist
A bit more than a year ago, I bought a Topfin 29gal starter kit from Petsmart. It came with a 20 watt fluorescent light...which still works today. I have different types of plants in my tank... 1 melon sword (which grows very fast!), 2 types of grass, 2 amazon swords, and 1 Anacharis.

I keep reading that to grow live plants, you should have atleast 2 watts per gallon. I only have 20 watts for a 29 gal, which isn't even one watt per gallon...

So why do my plants seem to be growing so nicely?

I am new to planted tanks, so if there is anything that I am doing wrong or anything, please feel free to comment :)

It can definetly be done with under 1 wpg. But not as 'pretty' as with higher lighting. From what I understand, higher lighting gives you growth that is more dense. And overal prettier. :lol:

Both my tanks are also under 1 wpg.
You should however consider replacing your bulb, as it loses light intensity over time. Best is to change it every 6-8 months.

HTH!

Swords in general can "survive" in lowlight and definitely Anacharis can even grow like a weed in low light. There are plenty out there that do low light setups and they are nice... but if you ever check out what someone like Malkore does with 2-3 WPG and CO2, that's a thing of beauty.

You can prolly add other good low light plants such as Java Fern & Java Moss.

It's definitely possible to have a nice looking planted tank with that lighting but extra lighting can make a big difference in plant growth and overall health.

i also have a 29gal with the 20w fluorescent light and low light plants...the manual for the tank says that if u have to replace the light u should get one between 15-25w...so...do i need a whole new thing or can i get just a light with more watts to fit in its place? TIA :mrgreen:

Thanks for the compliments on my tanks :)

Patagonia - you're pretty much stuck at 20watts. The ballast in the light fixture is what determines wattage, and most 'came with the tank' fixtures use cheap magnetic ballasts which cannot 'load sense' the capacity of the bulb.

You could add a second fixture of 20w pretty cheap, and then you'd have 1.5wpg. A little more juice, but nothing that would require CO2 injection. If you hit 2wpg, you'll want CO2, or at least some Flourish Excel.

Also at 1-1.5wpg, potassium, iron and traces are really all you need to worry about. there should be sufficient nitrate and phosphate from the fish waste.

thanks malkore...ill post a thread abou this because im not quite sure how to add a second light fixture and i dont wanna take over prettyvacant's post... :oops: :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom