Lighting in Planted Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sandfall

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've recently been looking into lighting, which is an aspect that I overlooked when setting up my 20 gallon partially planted tank. I currently have a mainly plastic hood with a 15 watt t5 light that is made to fit on it. It has a little glass space that the light sits on top of. Now that I've got some plants that need stronger light, cobombas and crinum calamistratum, I want to get a better light. The lights that I am considering are a T5HO light, two T5s or an 11 watt LED light. On a side note, I am not using CO2 fertilization, if that is any help. Which one of those lights would work better? And also, would I need a new hood or could I keep my old one? Would I need a cooling fan for any to them? I am aiming for a medium to high light intensity.

I'm a convert to LEDs and am very happy with them. My plants get great like from my Finnex Planted+.

Is this a 20-long or 20-regular tank? The distance from the light to the top of the substrate can make a big difference in how much usable light reaches your plants.

It's a 20 high. Does anyone know how bright the LED would need to be? I can't see the par, but in lumens, color brightness (k), watts, or number of LEDs? I can't seem to find anything that tells how to figure that out.
The Finnex Planted+ is a bit out of my price range.

Check out Beamswork fixtures on Amazon. I only run Finnex fixtures but heard good things about the Beamswork fixtures. The 24" DA FSPEC model runs for about $45. PAR data here. This would probably put you at low medium lighting.

Okay, I'm looking into it and might use it if I end up using LEDs. Still not sure whether I should use it, T5s, or a T5HO. Does anyone know what works best for plants?

Okay, I'm looking into it and might use it if I end up using LEDs. Still not sure whether I should use it, T5s, or a T5HO. Does anyone know what works best for plants?

Best can be a subjective term. It really depends on the plants you wish to grow. In your particular setup, I would go with LEDs. Some advantages are that you never have to change the bulbs (with fluorescent bulbs you should change them every ~9-12 months), low heat output, low energy usage, compact design, and dimmable in some cases.
In 2013 I started off with a dual T5 NO (normal output) on a rather shallow tank (20g long / 12" deep). Plant growth was nearly non-existent. Various stems and sword plants. Switched to a Finnex FugeRay and growth improved. A few months later added DIY CO2 and some plants grew too fast. Progressed to higher lighting since then.
Interestingly, I moved the original dual T5 to my shrimp tank (also a 20g long) and the crypts grew beautifully.
I have also used 23w twisted compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) housed in inexpensive dome lights to provide supplemental lighting. Aesthetically not the best but effective for plant growth.

The plants I am growing are java ferns, cabomba, jungle vals (soon), crinum calamistratum, a banana plant, bolbitis (soon), an anubias, and moneywart.

If I use LEDs (and I probably will), do I need a cooling fan?

Back
Top Bottom