Lighting on my 20g planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nortzy21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so my biggest worry as of now is lighting. I'm setting up a low tech 20g planted with low light, hardy plants and some fish. I'm not doing co2 or anything hardcore like that. I will be using some ferts though like API leaf zone and maybe some root tabs. For lighting though I'm only using 2 clamp lights with CFLs. One bulb is 75w while the other is 13w. Both bulbs are 2700k. On the box of the 75w bulb it says "only uses 20w." Tell me what this means for my plants.

Here's a pic
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422742887.983264.jpg

Another pic
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422743177.465324.jpg

I'm really just wondering if this is sufficient enough for low tech plants like ferns, anubias, etc. Feel free to criticize all you want!

Thanks,
Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Keep in mind that my substrate is on the way. I ordered 2 bags of Eco complete

If you're using your current light setup, I would recommend using 6500k cfls. Since 6500k light spectrum is a great place to start. 2700k spectrum is not ideal to grow plants. The lowest light spectrum I would go is maybe 5000k, but 6500k will grow plants for sure. I've used them in both a 10g and 29g.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you're using your current light setup, I would recommend using 6500k cfls. Since 6500k light spectrum is a great place to start. 2700k spectrum is not ideal to grow plants. The lowest light spectrum I would go is maybe 5000k, but 6500k will grow plants for sure. I've used them in both a 10g and 29g.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok thanks. I'll change those out. What exactly does kelvins mean for growing plants?

Kelvins is a unit of measure for color temperature of light. The 2700k bulbs mimics the temperature color of light in the late afternoon per say, and 6500k would mimic light between 12 and 3 o clock. Google it, your mind will be blown. Lol hope this helps.

Kelvins is a unit of measure for color temperature of light. The 2700k bulbs mimics the temperature color of light in the late afternoon per say, and 6500k would mimic light between 12 and 3 o clock. Google it, your mind will be blown. Lol hope this helps.

Ya I knew it was color temp but I like the analogy with the time of day. Another way to look at kelvins is to compare the amount of kelvins to the distance from the equator. Most of the plants we grow are from regions near the equator where the sun gives off 6500k persay

Those lights should work great for growing low light (and maybe some medium light) plants! Get a few nice driftwood pieces to tie ferns, moss, and anubias onto and it'll look amazing :)
You'll be able to grow crypts and Amazon swords as well- both like deep substrate and root tabs because they grow huge root systems.

Back
Top Bottom