Lighting Opinions on a 150Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EG6256

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys!
So I've recently been put in charge of a 150 gallon aquarium at a local vet clinic because they have zero experience and the woman who was caring for it didn't really fill anyone in ( also she was not the most qualified either.)

Here is my current set up:
150 gallon tank with API Filstar Canister (Unsure on it's size or rating)
One 200-watt heater
Airpump that needs new tubing

Fish include:
1 Goldfish
10 Platys of various coloring
2 Cremecicle Lyretail Mollies
2 Black Skirt Tetra
1-2 Kuhli Loach
1-2 Chinese Algae Eater

My current plan is to rehome the goldfish and probably the algae eaters, add a second heater, restore the air pump to working order, and purchase glass hoods.

I need advice on what to do for lighting, however. What should I recommend? I am between T-8 and LED (because of what is in the tank and my future plans for it I am not considering T-5) but because of it's size I am not sure on how much of either I'll need to properly light it. Currently the setup will remain tropical community but down the road I would love to talk them into doing African cichlids.

What do you guys (and girls) have, and what would you recommend?

What are the dimensions on that beast and what budget are you working with? Those are two big factors involved in any suggestion we can give you.

it is a standard 150 gallon at 72 inches long. I have about 14.5 inches of width at the top to work with and I do not want price to be considered. Depending on what will work, t8 or LED, it will already be 75$ - 300$ new. I would just like an opinion on whether or not LED is worth the investment, or if a single strip of t8s will be enough. I know my 90 had 2 48" bulbs but would it be completely necessary?

Some people suggest that buying a t8 is cheaper if u Are not replacing the tube every year like you should, I would look into investing into led which will be more cost to buy but more benificial throughout the years. Best of luck in deciding!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom