lighting options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
75 gallon, four foot tank. And I was going to start injecting CO2 after the light upgrade.

You can grow medium light plants really well with a two bulb t5ho fixture, but for the upper part of medium and into the high light range you're going to need a 4 bulb t5ho or some good LEDs. Right now on my 75 I have a two bulb coralife t5ho and a ray 2 that has put me into high light and all my plants are doing really well.

If I had a two bulb fixture, would I be able to grow carpet plants like dwarf star grass?

That's a deep tank so honestly since your planning on using CO2 I'd say a 4 bulb T5HO fixture. AquaticLife makes good T5HO fixture and many come with built in timers and LED Moonlights.

Thank you for your input. I'll have to look into those fixtures!

By dwarf star grass to you mean downoi?

I never kept downoi under the dual t5ho when I had it by itself but I could never keep any carpeting plants more than just alive until I added the second fixture. With a good fixture, good ferts, and pressurized co2 you can grow just about anything you want though.

It didn't spread or anything?

I think I had a total of two runners. It didn't work for me anyway, I'm not saying it won't work for you. A two bulb fixture just doesn't have the par or spread like you're looking for though, you'd probably save yourself a lot of time and trouble spending the extra for the fixture that provides the lighting you're looking for the first time around instead of how I did it haha. I've had a dual t5no first, then I bought the dual t5ho, now I've got the dual t5ho And the ray 2. I love the lights I have, but if I knew then what I know now I would have done it different. Hindsight is 20/20 right? Haha

I think I had a total of two runners. It didn't work for me anyway, I'm not saying it won't work for you. A two bulb fixture just doesn't have the par or spread like you're looking for though, you'd probably save yourself a lot of time and trouble spending the extra for the fixture that provides the lighting you're looking for the first time around instead of how I did it haha. I've had a dual t5no first, then I bought the dual t5ho, now I've got the dual t5ho And the ray 2. I love the lights I have, but if I knew then what I know now I would have done it different. Hindsight is 20/20 right? Haha

I went the exact same route you did. Started with a dual t5no, then got an aquaticlife dual t5ho and still wasn't satisfied. A couple of weeks ago I got a finnex ray 2 and I think I'm finally happy with it paired with the t5ho. Trial and error I guess.

What's your budget? Bear in mind that with higher light, you'll want to look into getting a CO2 system. I don't think you'll be happy with your DHG without one.

I have 2 Build My LED lights and am very happy with them. But in a deeper tank if you go that route go with a 75% beam angle as it condenses light which works better in a deeper tank.

Back
Top Bottom