Lighting-or why we do what we do....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh okay, do it the way you want to so that it's yours ^^

debisbooked...
What exactly is your fixture, a t5no or a t5ho?
How many bulbs?
How many inches from bulbs to the top of your substrate?

Blert, you're not asking me those questions but I don't think I'd even know those answers 0.0

debisbooked...
What exactly is your fixture, a t5no or a t5ho?
How many bulbs?
How many inches from bulbs to the top of your substrate?

If you are asking me, I have a Coralife 65w 10000 fixture (2 bulb strips) that is 19-20 inches from substrate.

Man, I have very little idea of what you guys just said. *confused*

debisbooked said:
If you are asking me, I have a Coralife 65w 10000 fixture (2 bulb strips) that is 19-20 inches from substrate.

Ok, this makes a difference to your light level...
Is this a single unit, 48 inches long? (this is on your 75 gallon, no)
Is it a Power Compact (PC)? (is the bulb curved back on itself)
Is it a straight bulb?
What does it say on the bulb itself? It should have a number or say "high output" or something.

Ok, this makes a difference to your light level...
Is this a single unit, 48 inches long? (this is on your 75 gallon, no)
Is it a Power Compact (PC)? (is the bulb curved back on itself)
Is it a straight bulb?
What does it say on the bulb itself? It should have a number or say "high output" or something.

Single unit, straight bulbs, 65w, 10,000k on bulbs -no other words visible.

The only thing I could find on a 65 watt CoraLife fixture says its a PC fixture. According to Hoppy's lighting chart this puts you in low light. To get to high light you would need a dual t5ho fixture. Medium light would need a single t5ho fixture. But because of the width of a 75 gallon tank coverage might be an issue. One t5ho would give you medium light tapering to low at the front and back and dual bulbs would give you high tapering to medium at the front and back.

There are other folks on this forum much more familiar with this stuff. Maybe they will chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks blert. Looks like I will be looking for something new anyways. The left bulb will mysteriously go 'off' now and then for no apparent reason. This happened again last night and tonight. Hubby is going to check it out (he's good with electrical stuff) but I've had this set for about five years and not really happy with it.

Anyone have experience with LED light systems for planted tanks? This one looks interesting: GroBeam 500- 12 watt (Natural Daylight).

No experience with them but I do know that they are one of the very few consumer LED lights that will actually work with plants. They are pricey though, but in the long run LEDs are cheaper as you don't have to replace the bulbs every year or less. Remember, if you delve into high lights you will need CO2 injection and fertilizers or your tank will be covered in algae.

Back
Top Bottom