Lighting question ( buying it soon, so please try to answer it for me quickly )thanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cterzich

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

If I was to by lighting strip which as 4 lights each 65w for my 55gallon tank. I think it's going to be way to much for right now. I'm buying it for plans of a saltwater tank. I'm getting a really good deal on the light. I'm getting a $260 light for $100 from a friend. Could I dumb down the watts of the light bulb itself, so if the light can push out 65w can I put a 35w bulb in with out it causing a problem? I'm pretty sure I can I just thought I would ask.

No, you cannot put in 35W bulbs instead of the 65W's. <Ballast won't drive it ... unless you have an expensive load sensing ballast like an Icecap .... the ballast is over $200 by itself, I doubt you'll have that in a $100 fixture! OTOH, there are cheap electronic ballasts out these day, so maybe you Do have a load sensing one? Can't tell unless you take out the ballast & look.>

BUT - get the fixture anyway! You can decrease the light 2 ways:

1. If the 4 fixtures are wired in parallel, you can leave 2 of the bulbs out & it will still light. <These fixtures usually have seperate switches for the 2 banks of light, so you can control each side separately.>

2. If the fixture must have all 4 bulbs to light, you can swap 2 of the bulbs with actinics. The actinics won't "count" as far as plants are concerned, so in effect you would be running only 1/2 the watts.

ill add a question into the mix. is that a light you really want for a 55 gallon sw tank? i dont know anything about salt water but i know before i spent the money on a light i hope to use for my set up i would make sure thats really the light you want. what kind of light is it?

are you going to have plants in the fw tank?

Back
Top Bottom