Lighting question for my 76!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcass

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking about making a change to the lighting in my 76 half round. Currently I have a 3' Coral Life fixture with a 10000k 31w T5 HO and an Acrylic 31w T5 HO. This is a freshwater cichlid tank which has a Jack Dempsey, a Gold Severum, a Livingstonii, and a Pleco. I have never felt that my current lighting was bright enough.

I'm an electrical contractor and just happened to have in my shop (3) 100w metal halide fixtures lying around. I've brought them home to possibly put in the tank. My question is should I find a way to add them to what I already have? Or should I do away with the Coal Life and go only with the (3) 100 watt metal halides? Or do I forget about the metal halides and just stick with the Coral Life fixture?

I do have plans eventually to turn this tank into a saltwater tank. That's away off but thought I'd throw this out there just in case it should play into the decision. Let me know your opinions!

I'm thinking about making a change to the lighting in my 76 half round. Currently I have a 3' Coral Life fixture with a 10000k 31w T5 HO and an Acrylic 31w T5 HO. This is a freshwater cichlid tank which has a Jack Dempsey, a Gold Severum, a Livingstonii, and a Pleco. I have never felt that my current lighting was bright enough.

I'm an electrical contractor and just happened to have in my shop (3) 100w metal halide fixtures lying around. I've brought them home to possibly put in the tank. My question is should I find a way to add them to what I already have? Or should I do away with the Coal Life and go only with the (3) 100 watt metal halides? Or do I forget about the metal halides and just stick with the Coral Life fixture?

I do have plans eventually to turn this tank into a saltwater tank. That's away off but thought I'd throw this out there just in case it should play into the decision. Let me know your opinions!

I don't see why, as you don't have plants. If you turn it into a saltwater, the metal halides will be good for coral.

There's no reason to use halides, even you current lighting is over kill for just a fish only tank without plants.

If you are switching to saltwater than snag them but don't add them to the tank yet.

Mog you mention that what I currently have is overkill. Why? What would you suggest considering I don't the tank lighting is bright enough??

Also, can a particular lighting not be good for the fish? For instance it sounds like your saying halides would be fine on saltwater but not freshwater. I'd love clarification here.

The 10k and antinic color spectrums are specially designed to grow and enhance the colors of corals. You don't need anything above 13-23 watt in the 5500-6700k color spectrum for a fish only fresh water tank.

Metal halides are high intensity lighting used to grow plants indoors and corals. All they will do is heat up your tank and grow algae.

Mog you mention that what I currently have is overkill. Why? What would you suggest considering I don't the tank lighting is bright enough??

Also, can a particular lighting not be good for the fish? For instance it sounds like your saying halides would be fine on saltwater but not freshwater. I'd love clarification here.

Actinic lighting is for corals (which you don't have) and the metal halides are very powerful, for growing plants. As you don't have plants, you should use just enough lighting so that the tank is sufficiently bright.

Good info and I appreciate. It all makes sense. Let me ask this though...because it doesn't seem bright enough. Could it hurt anything if I were to leave the fluorescents in there but then add a single 100w MH just to help brighten things up a bit? Would it hurt the fish in anyway?

Good info and I appreciate. It all makes sense. Let me ask this though...because it doesn't seem bright enough. Could it hurt anything if I were to leave the fluorescents in there but then add a single 100w MH just to help brighten things up a bit? Would it hurt the fish in anyway?

Ok I am not sure how many different ways I can say don't add the MH but I'll try one more time . Don't add the freaking MH!!!!!

I have no idea how bright you think it needs to be but if you can see the fish then its probably bright enough. The only option I would go for is replacing the bulbs in the coralife with two 13-23 watt 6700k T5 HO bulbs, those should be plenty bright enough.

Back
Top Bottom