Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KrempelJD

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can an anenome survive under a coralife 30" 2x 31w 10000 fixture?

If ur doing t5 lighting (which is what I have) anenomes will do fine with a 10000k and an actinc. Just try to get about 8 watts per gallon. However polyps, zooanthids, xenias, and some mushrooms and leather corals do better in this "low" powered lighting. Just be sure to replace ur T5 bulbs at least once a year. I do mine every six months.

I should have said 6-8 watts per gallon. Honestly man LED is the way to go with reef lighting. Its just more expensive than the T5 setup

Watts per gallon is not used any more an is an outdated term, no you will not be able to keep a nem happy and healthy under a 2 bulb fixture. If the tank is 30in long and 12-24in deep you will need any where from a 4 bulb to 6 bulb t5 Ho fixture with individual reflectors. How big is your tank ? Dimensions? Under a 2 bulb you will be able to keep soft corals, mushrooms zoas green star polyps. Leathers need mid to high lighting so I would stay away from them.

U seem to know what ur talkin about chong. So I have a 25 gal with 2 T5HO hood and I run one 10000k and one Actinic. Is that suffice? I have four rose bubble tips anenomes and they are a little bleached from protien defficency I believe but everything else is doing splendid.

wvanderborg said:
U seem to know what ur talkin about chong. So I have a 25 gal with 2 T5HO hood and I run one 10000k and one Actinic. Is that suffice? I have four rose bubble tips anenomes and they are a little bleached from protien defficency I believe but everything else is doing splendid.

I would upgrade to 4bulbs. For me I would go with this combination
1 uvl super actinic
1 50/50 6500k reef sun
1 10000k coral life bulb
1 coral life actinic bulb

The trouble is, actinic does nothing for reef life, it simply makes it look nice to our eye. So in essence you are only actually running one bulb....

Leighton79 said:
The trouble is, actinic does nothing for reef life, it simply makes it look nice to our eye. So in essence you are only actually running one bulb....

Actinic lighting helps promote and stimulate the photosynthetic algae that is in corals. and it is not like running 1 bulb, you will be running 4 bulbs all designed for specific purposes. also the actinic lighting brings out the colors in corals. Yeah you can run a tank without them but your corals will be a dull brown color. Just look at every major frag places, they all use actinic lighting with metal halide, LEDs or t5s

What about led though u can get a cheap led setup for 100$ at rapidled.com that has 12 3 watt led's

Tomchong22 said:
Actinic lighting helps promote and stimulate the photosynthetic algae that is in corals. and it is not like running 1 bulb, you will be running 4 bulbs all designed for specific purposes. also the actinic lighting brings out the colors in corals. Yeah you can run a tank without them but your corals will be a dull brown color. Just look at every major frag places, they all use actinic lighting with metal halide, LEDs or t5s

I think it all depends on what side if the fence you sit. There's no doubt blue lights make certain coral look nice, Acans would be a good example of this.

I've spent hour after hour researching lights and the studies that people have done on them.

It's all about the wavelength that the bulbs put out etc etc etc.

It's my personal belief that it's more benificial to run something in the 6700k - 10000k range.

I see good growth with 2x 10000k and 2x 15000k bulbs.

Leighton79 said:
I think it all depends on what side if the fence you sit. There's no doubt blue lights make certain coral look nice, Acans would be a good example of this.

I've spent hour after hour researching lights and the studies that people have done on them.

It's all about the wavelength that the bulbs put out etc etc etc.

It's my personal belief that it's more benificial to run something in the 6700k - 10000k range.

I see good growth with 2x 10000k and 2x 15000k bulbs.

The reason you get better growth under 6700k is because that is the temp photosynthesis is best under. Your corals will grow fast but not have any color to them. The actinic lighting and higher wavelength will give them the florescent colors that people want. hence I recommended the 50/50 6500k bulb along with the 10000k to get the growth and the super actinic and actinic to get the colors.

Back
Top Bottom