Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craigj247

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 34L nano tank and it has been running with the stock 12V LEDs which have 22 day and 10 blue actinic lights... I recently purchased some live rock and would like to get in to corals.

However I don't think this lighting would be good enough to have corals... I did look at an LED 10W flood light.. Would this be better for my tank to have corals in... If so should I go with the 10W LED or the 20W LED for my set up?

Have you considered making your own led fixture? You might have better luck finding the led;s and the drivers overseas. Do you have ebay over seas? Some great things on ebay that might do the trick.

:) I know I got my wave maker etc from eBay but if it is too big then there is an issue with customs. I have tried everything... I don't want to have any hard corals... Just corals that need moderate lights like some mushrooms, torch coral and maybe a couple of polyps that survive in moderate light... Dinuki think my lights are not enough for them to survive...

Well the only way is ti try some. I would get some mushrooms and maybe a frag of zooanthids and see what happens. The mushrooms should do ok under the lights, not so sure about LPS though.

Yeah guess will start with a mushroom and see how things go... I originally was looking at frogspawn from LPS but when I researched in to it learned that the lighting needs are moderate to intense which is why I don't want to try it out and then decided on a torch since it seems to be moderate lighting all the way... Do hard to do this hobby over here... Would you believe that I have 5 aquariums within walking distance of my house and non of them knew what a wavemaker was... I had to bye mine for my nano off eBay.

Ok Carey thank you so much for the advise will start with a blue mushroom frag and keep you updated with some pictures too.

Back
Top Bottom