Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HopefulHobbiest said:
does anyone here know about the Floramax bulbs you can buy from petsmart?

do they work for plant growth like they say it does?

What number "k" are they ?

Anything from 5000k up to 10000k will sustain plant growth with the optimum being 6400k-6700k.

Jon

HopefulHobbiest said:
I don't know if it has a K number on it... The only thing it really says is "18 in, floramax T8"

Yeah I done a little reading.

A lot of reviews say good for plant growth.

I use HAGEN LIFEGLO 6700k T8 lamps in my 50g.

Great lamps.

Jon

Yea I wish I had more options as far as plant lighting goes but I'm limited to petsmart right now until I find a good website with decent prices and shipping

I still have to boxes for the bulbs at home... I'll check them tonight and see if they have a K rating and I'll post it here and we'll see what you think :)

Ok so after looking at the box when I got home the only thing I could find on it that might even be remotely helpful is this: see pic

Attachments

• image-725451187.jpg
    image-725451187.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 53
I've used them before, they work well. I tend to used a "plant/flora" bulb in my fixtures and my plants seem ok. R they necessary, not sure. I'm wondering the same.
As for some websites:
Drs foster smith, pet solutions, that fish place; just to name a few.

I have noticed a little difference with my plants... They seem like they are growing pretty well with the new lighting I have root tabs I add to my sand... Hopefully these two together will really make them grow :)

I used it on my 75gal... They're good as a supplemental bulb to a 6500k bulb, but not just as a single bulb.

Please explain a little further what you mean, if you don't mind of course :)

Those bulbs emit light in the two peak colors plants use for plant growth. sounds great until you realize that one bulb by itself will only do so much. When I had it on my tank, my plants didn't do too much in terms of growth. My old fixture was a single T8 bulb so it really wasn't putting out much light. The best combination is one T5 6500k daylight and a T5 flora max bulb.

It gives off a pink / red hue which looks cool by itself ... But it's best when teamed with a daylight bulb.

So with my setup I have a 55g with two hoods and 1 bulb per hood... Both bulbs are the T8 floramax bulbs... But from what it sounds like in your post you're suggesting 4 bulbs total using two dual hoods right? I could just be mis-reading what you mean but that's what it sounds like

They're usually in the 5000K range. Whether or not they add anything for the plants in debatable, but they can bring out some colors better if you're lacking red, or make a tank look warmer.

Hmmm I'm just hoping they help with plant growth... So far they seem better than the stock stuff that came with the kit... Standard bulbs that came with are marineland natural daylight bulbs... No K rating listed

Hmmm I'm just hoping they help with plant growth... So far they seem better than the stock stuff that came with the kit... Standard bulbs that came with are marineland natural daylight bulbs... No K rating listed

Actually if the stock are daylight bulbs, they're probably in the 5500 - 6500k ... some even go to 8000k range and should help. However, light output in this case is also important. Here's the important questions .. Are they T8 or T5? I'm guessing T8 and what's the watts Per bulb?

When two bulbs are next to each other ... Their light output effectively act as one bulb. Two bulbs side by side is where you get higher light output. So yes two daylight bulbs with two flora max bulbs in your case.

Not sure about the F15 .. T8 references the diameter which is a standard size for most Stock Hoods. T5's have a smaller diameter and generally a higher output.

I re-read your post describing your hood ... and I got in confused the first time.
You have two 18inch length bulbs set next to each other the length of the tank which really is like one bulb. It's basically what I had with my single 48 inch floramax bulb.

SOOOO ... For now, keep what you have and save your $$$$ ... especially if you are seeing plant growth as you mentioned. It's when you notice they're not growing anymore that you'd have to consider upgrading down the road. You mentioned that for now Petsmart's your main lighting option ... the one by me does offer an Aqueon 48inch Dual T5 (BUT NOT HO) fixture WITH a 6500K and floramax bulb included for around $90. These T5's are not the High Output T5's, but I'm assuming you have mostly low light plants? If so this fixture would work as an option.

I was actually just looking at that... Only down side is that if I wanted to switch to the 48" dual I would most likely have to switch my hoods from the standard black plastic to two of the 2/3 piece glass tops...

I guess the first post I wrote was kinda confusing and for that I apologize. I didn't mean to confuse anyone

Back
Top Bottom