lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Narkul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank with java fern, anubias and a few other plants. They do OK but grow very slow. I'm using a cheap single tube t8 fixture with an aqueon full spectrum daylight bulb installed. The fixture does not have a very good reflector built in, it's just white plastic. Could I cut a strip of aluminum foil and glue it to the top half of the bulb that points up in the fixture to increase light reflected down or would it be better to glue it to the white plastic above the bulb? Would foil even help at all? I can't afford a better fixture for it at the moment. Is there a significantly better t8 18 inch bulb that I could use instead?

Better yet, go to the hardware store and grab some aluminum foil tape in the heating and duct work aisle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Better yet, go to the hardware store and grab some aluminum foil tape in the heating and duct work aisle.

Would you tape it to the top of the bulb or the bottom of the fixture?

In the housing

In the housing

Thanks, I think I'll try the tape trick.

The only reason I thought of putting it on the bulb is I remember a long time ago a company that sold fluorescents with the reflector built into the tube, but that was inside the tube, not on the outside which probably wouldn't have the same effect.

Back
Top Bottom