Lighting question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AkainePSP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday I bought 2 new lights for my 44 gallon tank. I bought the cheaper for right now. They are just the Super Actinic R and an Actinic White. Can't wait til tax season am having a custom hood made with the halides and so forth. The proper lighting I would need for a reef tank. It's gonna cost about 600.00 but the setup is awesome. Anyways the lady at the store was telling me that one of these lights I have should be on for 8 hours per day and the other on for 4 and I should alternate. The one thats on for 8 start first, then in 4 hours turn it off turn the other one on for 4 then turn the first one on again for 4 hours. One of these lights gives off a blue purple color and I'm not sure which is which. So could anyone help me determine which lights need to be on when?

Thanks Kelly

Odd advice...

The suggested light cycle for a reef tank is 12 hours on and 12 hours off. This is most simular to the natural lighting cycle. If your lights have multiple ballsts you can control when the actinics and white lights come on. If this is the case many will cycle the actinics on first and lets say an hour or so after that have the whites cycle on and then in reverse have the whites power off after lets say 10hours and the actinics on for another hour.

Back
Top Bottom