Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter333294

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29g with a 24" 20 watt fluorescent light. However, i'd like to grow low to medium light plants. I'd like to be at 2.5wpg and plan on using CO2. What lighting do you suggest for me to get 2.5wpg? Also my tank length is 30".

you are going to need about 70-75 watts of light...if money is not an issue then THIS should do the job, but you would need to replace the 1-36 watt actinic compact fluorescent lamp included, to a 36 watt 10,000k compact fluorescent lamp.

if money is more of a problem there are cheaper ways to DIY something up...

JDogg said:
you are going to need about 70-75 watts of light...if money is not an issue then THIS should do the job, but you would need to replace the 1-36 watt actinic compact fluorescent lamp included, to a 36 watt 10,000k compact fluorescent lamp.

Well that will be perfect then. I'll try and order it ASAP. Will it fit on my cover or is it for an open top aquarium?

critter333294 said:
JDogg said:

Well that will be perfect then. I'll try and order it ASAP. Will it fit on my cover or is it for an open top aquarium?
i have not used that model, usualy go the cheap rout ;) but i think it can be uses either way...

If you have one of those plastic deluxe hoods, then no this light will not work with it nor will most lights. It can be used with either a glass canopy or open top aquarium though.

i think that light you looked at is only 24'' you said your tank is 30'' so you might want to check before you order it. coralife makes a 30'' light. just thought i would let you know so you don't order the wrong light.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18369/si1383022/cl0/coralifefreshwateraqualightdeluxesingle30strip

Same one a before, but 30" and comes with a single 65W 6700K bulb.

Without a doubt you will need to upgrade to a glass canopy. I wish I would have found this one when I was buying mine.

I have a 29 as well with a 55w cf. My stargrass is exploding! I did not think that excel was nearly enough with that amount of light for me. CO2 turned out to be a must.

I totally agree with sparky, 55w cf seems to be perfect over a 29. While it's not 2.5wpg the fact it's cf makes it work more like 2-2.5wpg than the 1.8 it is in theory. Whether you use a new fixture or upgrade your hood IMO it makes a very easy to manage light level for your size tank.

Back
Top Bottom