Lighting Requirements.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blp1884

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

A friend of mine just gave me his old 20g tank. I recently got it mostly setup yesterday with the substrate, and a few plants to start the fish-less cycle process.

It came with a aqueon T8 15 watt fluorescent light with reflector. I have 3 plants in there so far 1)Java Fern, 2)Amazon Sword, 3)Micro sword. Clearly lighting is a hot topic in the aquarium world and lots of old and new information out there. I've read a little about the T5 and the old system of watts/gallon with the T12's along with the new system of PAR. I'm not 100% clear on all of it but I do have some basic knowledge much of it I acquired here before becoming a member.

My main question is does my current light meet the needs of my current plants. If yes great, if no, what would you recommend.

I'm completely new to the aquarium hobby and this is my first aquarium ever. So I am open to suggestions/recommendations and constructive criticism. I've also included all the other details of my new aquarium in my profile. If you need any additional information just let me know. Thanks.

Hmm, no response yet.

I have eco-complete substrate with gravel mixed in.

TLDR: best lighting for micro sword/java fern/amazon sword plants

would the aqueon modular led 24 inch light work if it 2 or 3 strips?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there, A friend of mine just gave me his old 20g tank. I recently got it mostly setup yesterday with the substrate, and a few plants to start the fish-less cycle process. It came with a aqueon T8 15 watt fluorescent light with reflector. I have 3 plants in there so far 1)Java Fern, 2)Amazon Sword, 3)Micro sword. Clearly lighting is a hot topic in the aquarium world and lots of old and new information out there. I've read a little about the T5 and the old system of watts/gallon with the T12's along with the new system of PAR. I'm not 100% clear on all of it but I do have some basic knowledge much of it I acquired here before becoming a member. My main question is does my current light meet the needs of my current plants. If yes great, if no, what would you recommend. I'm completely new to the aquarium hobby and this is my first aquarium ever. So I am open to suggestions/recommendations and constructive criticism. I've also included all the other details of my new aquarium in my profile. If you need any additional information just let me know. Thanks.

The lighting you have is sufficient for those plants, you could add some anubias in there along with other low light plants.

So would I be better off getting 1 or 2 T5NO or HO bulbs for moderate to high lighting.

So would I be better off getting 1 or 2 T5NO or HO bulbs for moderate to high lighting.

You definitely need HO or LED lighting for that. I don't know a whole lot about the LED lighting, rivercats can explain all of that to you. All I know is they aren't cheap. You could get a t5 HO 2 bulb ballast on eBay at good price. That would give a mod- high spectrum.

I personally like Current Satellite LED+ fixtures if you're cool with low to medium light. You can always add a second one if you want higher light later. Another good option is the Finnex Fugeray "Planted+".. It just got released this week, it's available at Aquavibrant.com (later on Amazon, since its so new).

If your goal is high light, high-tech, planted (which your current plants are suggesting otherwise), you could go for a buildmyled.com light. You opt for the optional dimmer so you can dial it down for your current setup of lower light plants, then crank it up if you ever decide to get into higher light demanding plants.

Back
Top Bottom