Lighting suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patman3d

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings,

Well, finally talked the wife into getting lights for our 75g tank. (current light is bulb long)
We'll be getting the Tek T5 4ft 6 lamp version. Currently there aren't any corals but would like to add them in the future.

What is the suggested bulb configuration that would be good for most corals/clams? I'd like to do the dawn/dusk thing as well. Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Bulbs available are:
D-D Giesemann Blue Actinic Plus or Blue
D-D Giesemann Midday
D-D Giesemann Aquablue
D-D Giesemann Pure Actinic Plus or True Actinic

PS... seller suggested
3 blue actinic +
2 Aquablue
1 Midday

Most people go for a 50/50 mix of daylight and Actinic.

Looks like the Giesemann "Midday Sun" is a 6000K bulb. This may look a bit yellow. You may consider the 11000K "Aquablue Plus" if you want the bluer look.

The seller suggestion isn't a bad one, it's 50% actinic, and 50% white, leaning towards the blue side rather than the yellow side.

Sorry, been busy with life stuff...

Thanks for responding. I think I heard someone say something like actinic is good for lighting, but it helps algae grow. Is that true?

Actinics help coralline algae grow. Coralline is the brightly colorful hard stuff that most people like, not the green fuzz that chokes out corals.

All light will increase algae to some extent. Combat it by keeping your nitrates and phosphates low. The easiest way to do that is to keep your feeding schedule to a minimum.

It will be great for soft corals. Hard corals and Clams might be borderline. Some people insist on MH for clams, but some people have successfully run them under VHO/T5.

Cool Thanks :) I don't know much about corals ... yet.. but I'm sure I'd like to try clams. I guess they'll just need to be near the top then.

Back
Top Bottom