Lighting time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
When is the best time to have your lights on, ex 7am - 7pm, 11am-11pm. Not saying they should be on for 12 hrs, just want to know if they should go off earlier or later. Or if it even matters.

It shouldn't matter. You could keep them on at night and turn them off during the day if you wanted :p. That could actually be cheaper.. since alot of places electricity is cheaper at night...

The main thing is to be consistant, so use a timer. Like Neilanh, I have my lights on from 1pm to 10pm only because that is when I like to view my tank.

I also don't think the time of day matters. The length of time matters and as mentioned pretty much everything in saltwater needs to be consistent/stable.
My lighting schedule is
2pm T5 on
3pm Halides on
9pm Halides off
10pm T5 off

Very good. Thank you all. 1-10pm I think will be my schedule works perfect. Thanks again.

Timers are amazing. And i also have my lights on at 1pm and off at 10pm.

I do have timers. My only set back is the fan plug for my clamp on MH. The internal fan has a seperate plug with a switch. The timer for my lights is a dual plug, which are both hooked to ballasts. The other timer I got is a strip timer w/ four outlets on timer and four outlets on switch. Unfortunately all four plugs are on the same timer. This timer is set to come on when my main lights go off. It is hooked to the light in my sump and an air pump hooked to a limewood airstone inside my skimmer, a little extra nightime skimming. Point is I can't use it or the fan would only come on when the light is off. As I said I have two lights, they are both 150w clamp on MH. The first one I got is older and didn't have the separate plug, the fan kicks on when the light does. I only got this one stupid plug that I got to hook up to come on the same time as the lights. Looks like I got to get another timer!

Back
Top Bottom