Lighting (Too Much or Too Little?!?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DHS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so far everyone here has been the best at answering my questions and giving me more ideas then are suppose to be humanly possible. So now it's time for my lighting question. I've got about 3 different ideas on how to setup lighting in the new 40g tank.
1) 2x 13"/32 watt PC Actinic; 1x 175 watt 10,000K; 1x "Moon Light"

2) 2x 13"/32 watt PC SmartLite (10,000K+Actinic); 1x "Moon Light"

3) 1x 13"/32 watt PC Actinic; 1x 23"/65 watt PC 10,000K White; 1x "Moon Light"

Now given the price of bulbs, ballasts, & heating of the canopy & water which one do you think will put off enough light so that my polyps, fish, corals, & ever other thing that I cram in to the tank are happy?? Also I know the "Moon Light" is pricey so I may go with a simple 40 watt black light bulb from Wal-Mart or something cheap...I just want to see my fish after thier bed time but before mine.

Thanks in advance everyone,
DHS

Well...if it was me, I'd look into two 96w PC's. That would give you better coverage than the shorter PC's I think. The electronic ballast from Home Depot that is for 4 32w T-8 lights will run one 96w PC. The one for 2 32w T-8's will run either one 65w or two 32w. They are lots cheaper than the Fulhams.
I'm thinking the only option you mentioned that would be sufficient is the one with the MH. This is a 3' tank? A MH covers about 2' so you'll have areas on each end that are not as brightly lit as the center. That might be a good thing if you want to have some things that don't need as much light like some of the mushrooms. I have 87w on a 10g though and the shrooms are doing well in there.
If you go with the 96w PC's, you could either go with 50/50's or one 10000k and one actinic. The actinic could come on first giving you a dusk/dawn effect. JMHO.
Logan J

Actually the tank is a giant 2' cube (give or take an inch) and I'm having to make almost EVERYTHING. The cube/tank used to be a display case from a toy store...got it for $30 with the stand (couldn't beat that deal) so I'm having to make a hood for it. I'm trying to find a way so I don't accidently burn my apartment down from the heat of the lights.

Peace,
DHS

OK...I thought you had a regular 40 gal aquarium. This sounds pretty neat! When do we get pics?
Logan J

Well the ideas around here keep getting better and better. Though I'm trying to keep my priceing of my lights down...since I already have a 1 or the 23 watt PC bulbs thats where I want to start. I thought of using the 175 watt MH since I've read that it will be sufficient for the corals that are directly below it, and it will add some great shadeing through the LR.

Also to give everyone an idea of the size of the tank I'm working with I thought I'd post a picture of my "CatFish" :lol:

well with a 175w mh you could keep higher light corals at mid to high level in the tank and keep shrooms, zoos,polyps, and some low light softies at the bottom. Trust me, you can have a great tank on a budget, I do. Started out small and over the years I have worked my way up to a 100 gallon reef. Baby steps. Some times a budget gives you the best thing in reef keeping, patience.

Does this cube have a ledge around the top? If not, have you filled it up with water yet? The reason I ask is that it may bow some on the sides. If it does, cut some acrylic strips (about 2" wide) and glue them around the top perpendicular to the sides. That will stiffen the top edge enough to stop most of the bow. Just a thought.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom