Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricardo48

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone see a problem with cutting my lighting down to the following.

14 gallon tank with 2x24 watt T5HO at 6700K

Want to go to 1x24 T5HO. I will still be EI dosing and have 30ppm co2.

I just want to limit algae outbreaks when/if I miss a bottle change on my diy co2.

One slight mistake with co2 and BBA comes and can take several weeks to fully eradicate :(

You might want to cut down on the hrs instead. On my 5 gal (experimental dutch - 12W PC) plant tank, I cut the light down to 6 hrs, and BBA is all gone. <Even when I deliberately put in a BBA infested plant, all the algae died after a week or 2 without work on my part!>

Seems to be working fine on my tank. Growth is quite slow, but at least no algae, and the plants appears healthy. I have only got this running for a few months, so no data on real long term performance. Although, in theory, if the light is bright enough, the plants should be able to get all needed photosynthesis done in a short time. I don't have high light plants. The low light ones are found naturally in valleys & such that may have a short day length, so should work. Don't know if a high light plant would suffer with a shortened photo-period.

My main tank is down to 9 hrs. I am gradually dialing it down to see what happens. <Main tank has fish, so might not work the same as the plant only tank .... so taking it slow ...> Some people also find that breaking up the light cycle gets rid of BBA. They would do 4 hr on, a couple hrs off, then 4 hrs on each day.

Well i have gone to 8 hours for now and im dosing excel to clear BBA. Always happens when my co2 goes and I forget to check bottle weekly :(

Back
Top Bottom