Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Judge92

Aquarium Advice Activist
What's the best kind of light to get the most colour out of your fish? I'm not sure what kind of bulb my tank came with but it's making my guppies like very gray, drab and dreary when they are directly under the light. They look a lot better away from the light near the back or lower part of the tank.

I got a ColorMax bulb for my T5 fixture and it really makes my guppies pop. They appear a bit pale under daylight spectrum bulbs and nearly colorless under regular bulbs, but they glow under the ColorMax.

How old is the bulb that you have now? I generally replace my T8's every ~6 months just so they look brighter. Seems like my compact fluorescent bulbs start fading faster than the T8's. A good 6500*K bulb should help brighten everything up.

My CFLs are only a couple months old. I don't know what's in the ColorMax bulb, but it works.

The tank is about a month old and the light is brand new as well. There's nothing wrong with the brightness it just doesn't let the fish show all of their true colours

My africans were pretty colorful when I just had a 10,000k t-8 over them... once I added a 420nm actinic with the 10,000k, their colors really started to pop.

There's a lot of abbreviations and short forms thrown into this :p What exactly is the "K" numbers and what do they mean? What is T-8 and such. At my LFS there are bulbs that are "marine-glo" "power-glo" and such. I believe the "power-glo" is purple-y and they suggested that one.

The K numbers are the Kelvin spectrum measurements. The numbers increase across the spectrum from red to blue. Warm white CFLs are ~2500K, daylight bulbs are ~6500K, some marine bulbs are 10,000K - 20,000K.

T8 is a fluorescent tube light. They measure fluorescent tubes in 1/8" increments. T5 = 5/8" dia. T8 = 1" dia. T12 = 1.5" dia.

High K spectrum bulbs make fish and corals "pop" more. Not quite sure why.

It's more of a blue colour, I think that might be why. Thanks for the clarification. Will the bulb I have now tell me what the measurement is.

Back
Top Bottom