Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blacksteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking to switching my FOWLR tank over to a reef tank and right now i have a regular florescent bulb. Can anyone give me some advice to what lights i would need for a reef tank?

A reef tank needs much more powerful light. Depending on the size of your tank, look at T5HOs, LEDs, and MH lighting.

My tank is 29 gallons and it's 30" wide and 18" deep. I'm thinking about getting t5's. Can anybody recommend a good brand for t5's?

Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5; TEK lights also make great T5 lights (these are the 2 most recommended on the forum). Also, when you change your bulbs, upgrade them to Geisemann or ATI bulbs. From my months of research on this forum, this fixture/bulb combo is going to be the best lighting without getting MH or LED.

What about this light?

Coralife Aqualight High Output T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 2X31W, 30 inch

Those guys are overpriced and not worth the money. Look into was uscamaro said, and fishneedit.com. Which types of corals are you looking to keep? Because if you want just any corals I'd look into a 4-bulb fixture at least

Also what uscamaro posted about the bulbs it true

Well I'm just looking to keep some softer corals for now. Like zoas and mushrooms. And those lights he mentioned are a little out of my prices range. Is there any that could support those corals (mentioned above) within a $150 budget or so?

Depends on the quality you want. I bought a odyssea ficxture and while not everyone likes theirs i so far have had no issues with them. I am debating even getting them for my other tanks. The material and quality is not super but I paid $78 for a 30" quad t5. 96 watts total for my corals.

Okay well is there a certain amount of watts it should be? Or what's the most important aspect?

And Carey what kind of corals are u supporting with that 96w quad?

I was told with my 29 gallon 30" t5 that i should be abkle to have most corals. I have alot of high rock too so I can put super light needing ones higher up. :)

I'm far from a light expert though, sorry.

I have: zooa's, hammer, LGP and an open brain. I also have an anenome. I've had no issues with him as far as light, in fact he is growing even bigger. Like I needed THAT lol

Haha well ya that does seem like a really good deal! I'm just trying to start out getting some coral experience so I think I'm gonna start on the cheaper end if things.

Me personally, yes. They make quality products. The only thing I'd be worried about is the bulbs, if possible replace them with ATI or Giessman lamps.

This is just IMO though

I believe it's basically a measure of usable light if I'm not mistaken. Pretty sure that's a dumbed down version though

Back
Top Bottom