Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler3533

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 29 gallon tank 30in x 13in x 18in. And have this as my light fixture. Would this work for a planted tank. If so what kind of plants would work best. Preferably hardy none messy plants. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image-2133047245.jpg
    image-2133047245.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 58
  • image-2601385835.jpg
    image-2601385835.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 49
If you only got room for one t8 bulb (like me in my 10 gallon) then yes I think you do have a shot at growing some low light hardy plants. I'd use a flora max plant growth bulb (shines pink) as it uses more of the red and blue spectrum plants use during photosynthesis. That's also what I have in my 10 gal and it has work wonders so far. I use the zoomed brand. I grow stargrass, water sprite (grows like a weed and is taking over -_-) anubias, banana plant, crypts, trident java fern and java moss. All are growing really well with such low light. I also dose ferts such as Flourish excel and comprehensive whenever I feel like it. Haha but really, it's a very very low light undemanding tank that produces great plant growth. I don't actually even need such fertilizers as the fish really do all the work. :) The only thing concerning me about your tank is that your tank may be a little tall, and the light may have some trouble reaching down that deep, especially with just one bulb. But hey, it's worth a shot.

I agree with what TotallyCoral said, i especially love crypts. I was in a situation like you with not that great of a light and i decided to try a crypt, and it has grown like crazy. There are also lots of different species of crypts so thats what makes them great, they can be tall,short,bushy,or non-bushy [i couldnt think of a word:)]

Don't underestimate a T8 bulb. The only thing I can see as a problem with that fixture is the white "reflector". Get yourself a small piece of reflective Mylar and line the part under the bulb with it.

Single bulb T8 with crappy aluminum reflector on a 21 inch tall tank, no CO2, yes ferts (liquid and root tabs)...

Attachments

• image-3909886030.jpg
    image-3909886030.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 48
blert said:
Don't underestimate a T8 bulb. The only thing I can see as a problem with that fixture is the white "reflector". Get yourself a small piece of reflective Mylar and line the part under the bulb with it.

Single bulb T8 with crappy aluminum reflector on a 21 inch tall tank, no CO2, yes ferts (liquid and root tabs)...

Ok I'll look for some reflective Mylar today while I'm out. Would much would I need do you think? And please describe more about putting it on my fixture. Thanks :D

Tyler3533 said:
Ok I'll look for some reflective Mylar today while I'm out. Would much would I need do you think? And please describe more about putting it on my fixture. Thanks :D

Mylar is pretty high temp stuff but a general adhesive would not be. You would need to find some kind of adhesive that can handle the heat from the bulb. As far as how much Mylar, just enough to cover the space the bulb sits in I would think.
But, save yourself some trouble and go without first, your results may be fine. Start with some commonly available low light plants: Anubias, Wisteria, Java Fern, Crypts, Bleheri Sword, etc.

blert said:
Mylar is pretty high temp stuff but a general adhesive would not be. You would need to find some kind of adhesive that can handle the heat from the bulb. As far as how much Mylar, just enough to cover the space the bulb sits in I would think.
But, save yourself some trouble and go without first, your results may be fine. Start with some commonly available low light plants: Anubias, Wisteria, Java Fern, Crypts, Bleheri Sword, etc.

Ok thanks! Would those plants grow find in pea sized gravel?

Tyler3533 said:
Ok thanks! Would those plants grow find in pea sized gravel?

Sure, might have a bit of an issue with them coming lose and floating up for a while until they get themselves established. The Anubias and Java Fern you should just attach to a rock or a piece of driftwood or an ornament or something.

Back
Top Bottom