lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwandrsn

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I have a dual 30" compact fluorescent light assembly that takes two 22" 65 watt bulbs
Ones a 10000k the other is a 420/460. together that makes 130 Watts on a 36 bow front. Will this light support coral?

Maybe some low light soft corals. Maybe. I wouldn't try to keep coral under anything less than a 2 bulb T5ho, but they used to be kept under other lighting in the past. Just not something I would try.

The PC lighting will probably keep everything you said alive (maybe not the frogspawn) but they will more then likely Brown out on you and not grow very quickly. If you want to keep corals I would start off with what hank had mentioned, the dual t5 fixture. With that said though corals can be very very VERY addicting so I would just skip the inevitable upgrades and just go with a fully capable light like either a 4 bulb t5, single led module (taotronics are very cheap and very effective for led lighting), or something along the lines of a 150-250w MH. Each of the types of lighting has its pros and cons (which I'm not gonna get into since it can become quite the debate lol) but with the proper research you should be able to find out what would best suit your tank and you.

Ok I'm going to start with what I have for now it will be a while before I get into coral. The previous owner said the had a anemone that grew the size of a basketball in it

Back
Top Bottom