Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pankelephant

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a standard 55g (48" x 13" x 21") that I'm almost ready to start up. I'm overwhelmed with lighting options; perhaps there is such a thing as too much research. I would like to have medium lighting and do not intend to use CO2. I think I would like to avoid Odyssea products - the reviews are too mixed for my tastes. That said, I am trying to keep my costs low while sticking with quality products. One difficulty - I can't hang the light (22' ceilings). I would like to find something that doesn't require much DIY, so something with mounting options is pretty important.

My research suggests I should be looking at a T5 fixture with two bulbs, one 6500 and one 10000. I've no idea if I should get HO or NO and I can't figure out the wattage requirements. I do want to be able to grow something like Hemianthus callitrichoides or Rotala sp. if possible. Otherwise it will be a bunch of mosses and wisteria and a few other easy plants. I would really appreciate some help here.

Also, I don't know which substrate to use. I want a something dark (but preferably not back). I intend to separate certain areas and use a light-colored, coarse, pebble-y sand, then plant only in the darker areas. I like the ease of cleaning with sand but obviously want something that will be good for plants. Suggestions?

With regard to the lighting, I am perfectly fine if one of you with experience says "Buy this." I think I'm at the point where more than a few options will be overwhelming. All I'm trying to do is keep it under $150, preferably under $100.

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with the 2 bulb odyssey lights ( ok bad reflectors) the 4 bulb ones have heat issues

I have a standard 55g (48" x 13" x 21") that I'm almost ready to start up. I'm overwhelmed with lighting options; perhaps there is such a thing as too much research. I would like to have medium lighting and do not intend to use CO2. I think I would like to avoid Odyssea products - the reviews are too mixed for my tastes. That said, I am trying to keep my costs low while sticking with quality products. One difficulty - I can't hang the light (22' ceilings). I would like to find something that doesn't require much DIY, so something with mounting options is pretty important.

My research suggests I should be looking at a T5 fixture with two bulbs, one 6500 and one 10000. I've no idea if I should get HO or NO and I can't figure out the wattage requirements. I do want to be able to grow something like Hemianthus callitrichoides or Rotala sp. if possible. Otherwise it will be a bunch of mosses and wisteria and a few other easy plants. I would really appreciate some help here.

Also, I don't know which substrate to use. I want a something dark (but preferably not back). I intend to separate certain areas and use a light-colored, coarse, pebble-y sand, then plant only in the darker areas. I like the ease of cleaning with sand but obviously want something that will be good for plants. Suggestions?

With regard to the lighting, I am perfectly fine if one of you with experience says "Buy this." I think I'm at the point where more than a few options will be overwhelming. All I'm trying to do is keep it under $150, preferably under $100.

Thanks!
I would use a double strip T8 or a single strip T5 HO, two T5 HO would be way too much light over a 55 gallon.

What are you keeping in the tank? Plant wise and stock?

EDIT:

Sorry just re read the post. A dual T5 HO would work or you could go LED's.

I agree about the dual T5. Any particular brand/model you suggest? I know that plenty of people like the Odyssea lights, but I always seem to be in the 10% who have bad experiences. Based on the price point, that will be my choice if there are no suggestions for a better light., but I'd prefer something else. I have LEDs on my smaller tank and I'm not a big fan - the really good ones are wicked expensive, so I'm going to stay away from that for now.

My stock, by the way, will be a whole bunch of larger tetras and perhaps an angel.

Any advice on substrate?

I just had the ballast go out on my nova 2 strip HO T5 Friday and had to do an emergency replacement only ones I found in the 100-150 range was the same thing I had or a coral life I ended up going with the odyssey for the grow light and picked up the new current led strip for a display light going to have the T5 on a trimmer for 6 hours a day then the led on as a 24/7 day night cycle the two together were a little over 150

What kind of fish are in the tank ? If they are South American soft water fish I like the Eco complete in black but it does leach tannins into the water I used a mix of 50% with 50% black sand and the plants And fish do great

It will be a bunch of tetras. Maybe an angel down the road.

How long did the tannins leach with the EcoComplete?

Also, what about bulbs? There are lots of options with "floralife" or whatever, 6500k, 10000k, Super Daylight, etc. etc. Which are the best for all-around performance? Should I mix and match?

About 6 months but with tetras that is a good thing, and the 50/50 mix if you plan on having any Cory's in the tank will keep them from getting damaged whiskers and have been growing crypts wisteria swords and Anubis in it for years without any problems (until the heater went nuts and cooked everything). I have not noticed any difference between bulbs have had 2 64k 2 100 k mixed freshwater pink and 10k seems about the same in a high light tank with c02 it probably has an impact but not in a low-med light tank but I personally don't like the pink ones they make the fish look odd

Back
Top Bottom