Lighting ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Lighting ???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope to be converting my 46 bow from freshwater to marine this weekend. Intend to put in some live rock, clown fish (eventually) and some coral/anenomes.

I've read quite a bit about lighting and am really undecided. It looks like I wll not be able to use the hood for the bow tank even though I would prefer to. The hood will only hold 1 36" fl light bulb.

I was considering a Satalite Compact (twin 96w) with Lunar bulb or a Coralife (double 96w) with Moon light. Am I even close?

your in the right direction. I assume these are the PC lights you are talking about. I have one 96w on my 46 bowfront and everything is thriving. A lot of times people "over rate" the amount of light you should have for your tank. With a 2x96w you will be in a great position to keep most low to medium light corals. The clams and other really high light corals would be the challenge. Check my info box and you will see what I am currently keeping in my tank which is a low light tank. Coralife makes good products. It is your choice to go between the satelite(hanging) fixture or the other one that goes right on top of your tank(or optional legs) hope this helps you out a bit!

charlie said:
I hope to be converting my 46 bow from freshwater to marine this weekend. Intend to put in some live rock, clown fish (eventually) and some coral/anenomes.
Just a heads up, if you have ever used medications containing copper in the tank it will not be suitable for SW invertebrates. It is quite lethal to them in even very small quantities and tends to seep out of the silicone so scrubbing does not help. As far as lighting goes, like Movinweight said 2x96 over that tank will allow you to keep a fairly wide variety of corals. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom